Can only afford laminate...is granite looking stuff worth it?

Old 06-06-05, 09:47 PM
Emmie9999
Visiting Guest
Question Can only afford laminate...is granite looking stuff worth it?

Hello, everyone!

I am still working on my living room decorating dilemas, but they are moving along. I now have a major project in my kitchen facelift. I could use some feedback if anyone can give some.

My DH and I think we may expand our kitchen at some point, but right now it is in desperate need of a facelift. I'm looking for a 1920's New England feel to go with the period of the house. I'm hoping to tile the backsplash and do Pergo on the floor, then paint the cabinets. The countertops are the hard part. I cannot afford granite, marble, Silestone, etc., and I don't want to pay for it if I will rip everything out and reconfigure it in 5 years or less like we plan. Tile is too hard to clean, so I figured I would go with the old reliable of laminate. There are many laminates out there that look like marble or granite or other stones, and I figure I can use these to set a tone for the kitchen. However, the samples just look fake. Perhaps it will look different if installed? I just don't know, and it's a pretty expensive mistake to regret!

Has anyone gone with granite look laminate, or any other stone look laminate, and can you give me your thoughts, please? I am open to all opinions!

Thanks,
Emmie

Old 06-07-05, 10:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if it's just temporary (5 years) and you'll be changing it out for real stone later, don't worry so much about it. just go with whatever you like for now. when people walk into the room, their eyes won't go directly to your countertops anyway - they'll look at the cabinetry & flooring first. keep the counters simple & they'll look nice just because they're new & clean. if you think the fake stuff looks fake, then skip it. i've got a golden flecked pattern of formica or wilsonart (i forget which one) and i love them. my wallpaper & cabinetry & flooring are the stars of my show, not my counters. they're just a nice surface in a great color that compliments the rest. it sounds like until you can afford the real stuff, you don't want the fake stuff to be the main attraction anyway. go with something simple that doesn't draw too much attention to itself, for now.

Old 06-07-05, 09:53 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are many new laminate colors that provide the look of granite and natural stone products. Laminate manufacturers are keeping current with these looks because they know many of us can not afford the real natural stone products. Avoid the ones with high gloss coatings because they tend to scratch.

Last edited by twelvepole; 06-07-05 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-09-05, 08:42 AM
Millipede
Visiting Guest
Someone just posted this on the weekly Washington Post home deco chat:

Here's a suggestion for those who would like the contemporary look of natural stone countertops without the staggering price. I just finished gutting my condo's kitchen and installed granite-look laminate countertops. When combined with the maple cabinets, new black appliances and a nice stainless sink/faucet combo, I now have a very attractive layout that cost less than $7000 for the job (I did all the installation work myself). Both Wilsonart and Formica are now making stone-look laminates with a suitable finish that at a minimum makes one look twice before realizing it's not the real thing. In addition, I don't have the routine maintenance issues to deal with. Though I'll be selling in two years, I at least wanted to make some updates that would add value at resale. Once I settle down for good, then I'll plunk the huge cash into something more lavish.
- Millipede

Old 06-19-05, 04:23 AM
N
We're going with the Jamocha Granite (Etched series) by Formica. Our neighbour happens to have the exact same one (didn't know it when I picked it ), but seriously - I thought they had real granite countertops! No kidding - it looks great! It was only when I looked closer at the end of the countertop that I saw that it was laminate.

Old 06-19-05, 07:12 PM
deb2me81
Visiting Guest
Then Don't go Fake

Your worries are valid: the "fake" laminate stone surfaces often look fake. So rather than go for a fake laminate stone surface, go for a COLOR and make that countertop pop.
Additionally, solid colors are often less expensive than the patterns. Envision your kitchen with that new pergo flooring, cream painted cabinets and a cobalt blue laminate countertop...or apple red...or whatever pops and adds color.
When decorating, remember to take dark, medium and light tones into consideration. You mentioned pergo flooring, which would be dark. Painted cabinets would most likely be light. The countertop could be the medium. But don't let the "medium" fool you. A popping color is also a medium.
Good luck, and make it fun and energetic.
-Deb

Old 06-20-05, 10:30 AM
C
I've got a personal aversion to colored laminates! Have you considered anything like this?

http://www.vermontsoapstone.com/index.htm

We have friends who've used this in their kitchen (they didn't use this particular company, so I'm not vouching for or recommending this, just using it as an example), and it was FAR less expensive than other stone type alternatives. I think they referred to it as "firestone", it's what was used in all of our high school laboratories on the counters! It's very attractive, and we're considering it ourselves.

Our friends have a HUGE kitchen, with lots of countertop area, and found this a very affordable option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: