Layout for long, narrow livingroom

Old 07-10-05, 06:49 PM
scomom
Visiting Guest
Layout for long, narrow livingroom

I have a furniture layout dilema. I have a 24 x 16 livingroom where one of the long walls has a stone wall w/fireplace (11'4" ceiling) the entire length except for a large 4' window in the corner. The opposite wall has a 8' staircase on the end. One end wall is open to the diningroom, and the other end wall is just this huge wall. I have to put in seating (I have some options...sofa, loveseat, chairs) and a TV on a small entertainment center. I also have a coffee table and 2 end tables. I need help figuring out how to lay this thing out.

Old 07-13-05, 10:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

sorry - no one can help you until you say which "end" or "corner" is which!!! restate the layout using labels like "north" "south" "east" and "west", so we know where the window is on the fireplace wall, where the staircase is on that wall, etc.

then i, or anyone else, can try to help you!

thanks!

Old 07-17-05, 05:39 AM
scomom
Visiting Guest
Here's a more detailed layout: You enter the room by a 8' stairway which is at the far left of the south side. From there, the left side (west) is just a large wall...16' by 11'4" high. The opposite wall (north) is 24' limestone that has a 5'x6' window on the left side (west) with a 10' fireplace in the middle. There is about 2' of stone to the left of the fireplace and 7' on the right side. The right side (east) open to the diningroom. The south side has the 8' staircase on one end and a case opening on the other (east) end. The only other detail is that the fireplace sticks out @ 2' away from the floor.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-05, 10:16 AM
sorry............a few more questions:

so there's not really a wall on the east wall - it's open to the dining room?

and where's the "case opening" on the south wall? how wide is it? is that the entrance?

here's the south wall:

the 1-8 is the staircase on the left, so where's the opening??

thanks!

Old 07-24-05, 11:18 AM
scomom
Visiting Guest
layout

Annette...sorry. I am calling the staircase a case opening because it's 8' wide. That is the main entrance to the room, and yes, it is on the west end like you have it. And yes, the east side is open to the diningroom...no walls.

Old 07-25-05, 11:37 AM
E
Is there another entrance into the dining room or is the only way through the living room?

Is this the main TV in the house? Or is it used for infrequently?

Old 07-25-05, 11:51 AM
from the drawing that i've developed from all this, which probably isn't right , i think i'd use the sofa as a sort of room divider and place it with it's back toward the dining room, perpendicular to the fireplace, facing squarely at the west wall. flank the sofa with 2 chairs placed at slight angles inward. put the TV/entertainment center flat against the west wall, centered. to make the back of the sofa more attractive, place a sofa table behind it.

an alternative plan, in case the space won't allow the above, would be to use the sofa and just one chair - the one furthest away from the fireplace, and then use the other chair next to the entertainment center, angled inward, either on the fireplace side or the staircase side.

a third option would be to center 2 identical chairs in front of the fireplace side by side and angled slightly in toward each other, with the sofa moved back toward the dining room a little more to allow it to all fit properly. you might still have room for a 3rd chair (different than the other 2) on the other end of the sofa.

hope that makes sense.

Old 07-26-05, 03:30 PM
scomom
Visiting Guest
long, narrow livingroom

Annette...thanks for the input. You have the right idea. The only way into the diningroom is via the livingroom, but there is a door on the south wall opposite the big case opening.

I have tried the first layout, but I had a 9' sofa which didn't work. And yes, we do have the main TV in this room because we use it as a family room, not the main livingroom. I think what would work best is the 2nd option. I think the entertainment center has to go on the large west wall, and I live the idea of having a chair angled in that corner w/the window.

Thanks.

Old 07-27-05, 10:50 AM
those darn 9-foot sofas!!!! (i have one, too!!) they make furniture arranging difficult, but they're a must for laying down on!! sounds like you've got it worked out, though - there doesn't need to be enough room to walk between the end of the sofa & the fireplace, maybe just a couple feet so it doesn't look squooshed (yes, it's a word). keep moving things around & you'll get it! hope i helped!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: