Painting Interior Door

Old 08-25-05, 05:45 AM
treegirl97
Visiting Guest
Painting Interior Door

Hello,

I am planning on painting my kitchen a bright shade of orange with all white trim. In the kitchen is an exterior door going out to the deck. Should I paint the door orange like the walls or should I leave it white like the trim. I'm kind of leaning towards the orange but I'm not sure. Any advice??

Old 08-25-05, 06:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Plan C
A third color, maybe to match up with something else in the room

Really...
I've been doing that alot lately and I really like it
It scares some people but it's really kinda cool
...then again orange paint scares some people....so many people are afraid of color!
Sounds like that's not an issue with you treegirl97
Think about it....

Old 08-25-05, 06:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My vote is for white like the trim.
I'm moving this to the Decorating forum.

Old 08-25-05, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
my first choice would be white.

second choice would be an accent color. but then, what - are you going to paint every door in your house a different color? and all different colored walls? it'll get too crazy (unless you're going for "fun & funky") - keep all doors & trimwork the same, then you're free to paint the rooms different colors, with the all white trim tieing it all together.

painting it orange is what you'd do if you wanted it to disappear, but with white trim boxing it in, it'd just look wierd.

but i'd really recommend white - then you don't have issues about one side of the door being one color, and the other side a different color......

Old 08-25-05, 11:21 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I tend to vote for the white, based upon what you've described.

But can I tell you what we did? Our kitchen is orange...but more of a terra cotta orange. We did a painting technique to make it look old, for a Tuscan sort of look. The bottom half of the walls (and the chair rail molding & the baseboard) is a really deep plum color that blends in with the slate floors. The front doorway, leading outdoors, we painted with the terra cotta. It looks great (but it is broken up by the window in the door).

There are two other doors off of the kitchen...one leading downstairs, and the other to a bedroom. For these two doors, we painted them/the trim with the terra cotta, but then painted chalkboards (black) onto the centers of them. We 'framed' the chalkboards with trim (painted the terra cotta) to finish them off. All the cabinet hardware, lighting, picture frames are black/wrought iron in the room...so the black really works. And it's a great place to keep lists, write down notes for each other, messages (holidays, etc).

Anyway, you should do what YOU think will look best in your kitchen, and what will make you happiest! But then, I'm not one for following 'decorating rules'! I'm always trying to come up with inventive ways to personalize and functionalize our home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: