Question Regarding Sponge Painting

Old 08-30-05, 07:42 PM
Rosemary1960
Visiting Guest
Smile Question Regarding Sponge Painting

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding sponge painting and I would appreciate your opinion. Sorry about the background information before the question (as you will appreciate), but this is a question regarding style. We have a large living room with an open diningroom, with medium lighting.

I sponge painted my bedroom with complimentary colors of gold, and my husband who works overseas loved it. He wants me to sponge paint a spacious back wall to my large livingroom. He wants the colors to be primary colors (red, yellow & blue) on a white background.

On that wall we have a large canvas material of hand dyed geometric patterns that cover all but 3 feet of wall on all sides. The largest amounts of color are primary, with smaller amounts of green, orange, purple, and white. It is definitely the area of attention for the room.

We also have floor cushions in a similar pattern with similar colors. It resembles an arabic sitting room complete with low furniture, tea server, hookah, and hand made arabic lamps. The oriental rug is a blue similar to the colors in the material. The fireplace is gray brick and looks contemporary.

I want to make the canvas the focal point of the room. Would you think sponge painting the wall in primary colors would be too much? (I kind of think it would be like a color circus).

Would it be better to paint all the walls white and just hang the canvas?

What about painting the back wall one of the primary colors ...blue and leaving the rest of the area white?

Thanks for your advice.

Old 08-30-05, 07:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Welcome to the forum
IMO it would be best to paint the walls with a neutral color, that way more attention is paid to your desired focal points. The great thing about paint is it is fairly cheap in the over all decorating scheme. If you think you might want something bolder on the wall - go for it - after all it isn't that big of a deal to change it.

Old 08-31-05, 11:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i think the tri-colored sponge painting would detract from your canvas, and be too much. art galleries keep their walls white so they won't detract from the art. you might be able to use one color from the colors in the canvas, but i'd still vote for white, since that canvas sounds VERY busy & bright.

if your canvas was done in more subtle colors, as opposed to the most intense colors available, you might be able to sponge the wall with something subtle to give it a slight textural look (more of a tone-on-tone look, like your bedroom, somewhat of a parchment look), but that theory is out the window with the colors you're using. sponge painting using red, blue & yellow couldn't come off as looking like anything other than a child's room.

Old 08-31-05, 12:35 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds very 'busy-looking' to me! I'm not a huge fan of sponge-painting for this very reason. I think it's okay in bits & pieces, or in more subtle combinations of tones/colors...but what you're describing sounds rather loud, and in a room that's already got alot going on.

But, ultimately, you and your husband should do whatever you're going to enjoy living with! It's your house, not mine!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: