Color for bathroom with blue fixtures?

Old 09-26-05, 02:17 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Color for bathroom with blue fixtures?

I know the color question is a common one! I've got a whole house to paint and only a vague idea of colors. I love houses with color but then I'm afraid when it comes to choosing!
Anyway, I have an ensuite (small) bathroom which has a blue sink and toilet. The counter is a banjo-shape, white with blue swirly marby-looking laminate. It's ugly but we aren't going to change it until we are ready to remodel the whole bedroom/bath. I'd like to paint the walls in the meantime as it is flat (badly painted) white at the moment. The floor is done in beige 12" tiles. The vanity cupboard is white. The shower stall is a 3-sided almond color.

There is a photo here under 'house pics'
http://photos.yahoo.com/helen207

I've chosen a creamy yellow called 'casual cream' from Debbie Travis's paint for the ajoining master bedroom.

Would love any ideas you have! Something that might tone down the blue fixtures? I think I'll put a fabric cover on the toilet seat that matches the paint color too.

Last edited by heleninBC; 09-29-05 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add link to pics
Old 09-27-05, 06:55 AM
i'm not a fan of "toning down" anything. i don't think it's ever successful. i subscribe to the school of "working with" the offending element(s). pretend you love blue & incorporate it into the decor. then the blue just blends into the rest of the room's decor.

you could either find a multi-colored patterned wallpaper to use or a patterned shower curtain & drape off the shower stall. since the floor is beige, the counter is white, the shower is almond & your bedroom is creamy, i'd go for maybe a navy blue on the bathroom walls, as opposed to anything white/cream, because you'll never find a white/cream that will work with the other FOUR neutrals already going on. i'm envisioning some sort of blue & yellow color scheme. look for something with a multicolored pattern (wallpaper, shower curtain, artwork, towels, etc) that you can use to build on.

Old 09-27-05, 08:18 AM
C
I actually have this same issue in my own home! I've gone in two different directions...

Initially, we painted the bathroom a blue that complimented the fixtures. I briefly liked it, but then all the blue in the room started annoying me. I'm just not a fan of blue, I guess.

So then we went with a white on the walls that's just slightly off-white. I love it. And the slightly varying shades/tones of white/off-white work together. I use white towels in the room. And I stuck with very simple accessories throughout the room...stainless steel cannisters to hold items, an off-white/light beige valance, a white shower curtain. The whole effect ended up being very spa-like, and you hardly notice the blue. It almost looks tranquil now, instead of standing out.

It's really a matter of personal preference. As are most decorating/color decisions for the home! Unfortunately there are no 'rights and wrongs'. Wouldn't that make it easy?!?!

One final comment...I really would advise against the fabric toilet cover. Two reasons:

1. It's a VERY dated look.
2. It's highly unsanitary.

Old 09-27-05, 08:52 AM
H
hmm..

The room is (badly) painted white now, but there is so much I don't like about it so maybe I could change other things and do the walls over in a nicer off-white for now to clean it up.
There is an open shelving section right next to the shower which looks messy. Perhaps a nice curtain I could swag to the side for access. The lighting fixture is hideous, as are the towel rod and TP holder. Maybe changing those would help me live with the room until we can afford to do the expansion into the closet area...soaker-tub, big glass and tile shower, 2 sinks....ahhh...someday!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: