Wainscot height?

Old 10-03-05, 11:33 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wainscot height?

Hi,
I'd like to put up beadboard in my small kitchen. The ceilings aren't that high-
87" and I'm coming from a home where I have high ceilings so it feels low.
I currently have green walls in my kitchen but seems everyone's doing green now and I'm tired of it. Thinking of going with a coolish light tone of aqua blue with the white beadboard.
I have this "aqua" color in my dining room now with this shade on top and a dark teal on the bottom under the white plate rail.
Anyways... If I go with the premade beadboard at HomeDepot it's 4'x8'. This would come up 1/2 way on the walls which I think is too high and will make this small space seem even smaller. Maybe I should go without the beadboard? The cabinets are plain white veneer with a rather taupish swirled laminate countertop and oak hardwood floors. One wall has french doors to the outside so not much else can fit there. Essentially I'm talking about the one wall next to the eating area (only one place to eat in the house) and the back side of the bottom cabinets you see. Maybe I'll use it as a backsplash at some point too.. Am I "painting" this picture clear enough?
deb

Old 10-03-05, 12:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
if your ceilings are only 7'-3" high (is that even up to code?), i wouldn't do anything horizontal in this room. using a chair rail or wainscoting will only make your walls seem shorter because it will chop your already short wall into 2 even shorter sections. it will also take your eye from side to side, instead of top to bottom. actually, using the beadboard floor to ceiling would be a better idea. the vertical lines running the full height of the wall would add visual height. you could also paint stripes, preferably tone-on-tone stripes to give the appearance of height. the less contrasts in a small space, the bigger it will look. think monochromatic.

pale cool tones are a good idea, however, to enlarge the space.

also, since your dining room is already split top to bottom with a plate rail, i'd leave the kitchen un-cut up with full length walls.

and when it comes time for window treatments, opt for vertically hanging side panels versus horizontal valances.

however - to answer your question (if you still want to use wainscoting): don't go over 36" high. 30" would be better. just decide where it will be best & most attractive when the top of the wainscot trim runs into the sides of cabinets/counters/windows/etc (doors won't be a problem). it should either run smack into the side trimwork around a window, or run underneath them without touching at all, or even taking the place of the window's apron.

Old 10-03-05, 09:23 PM
S
Thank you

I will have to find out what the ceiling height code IS? They haven't plastered in the new ceiling yet- but before they took it down- that's what it measured- which is bad since one of my kitchen hutches is 88" high so some of the moulding may need to be shaved off of it!
This is a renovation of a new home purchase. The DR with the plate rail is in the current condo I'm in and I picked the two shades of "teal" against the white- and I like it- that's why I was trying for a similiar look in the "new" kitchen. Maybe I'll rethink your idea of one color (probably I'll stick with cooler light shade...) then use the beadboard on just the back of the bottom cabinets and as a backsplash. I want it to have SOME kind of style and right now it's basically bare- almost modern looking which I dislike! So I was going for a country-type look I guess. But minus the roosters and gingham.
They're installing stock white cabinets, I had one of those double doors with the blinds inside the glass installed since I have a dog and this way he can't damage any drapes- plus it lets a lot of light into the room which only has 1 window over the sink and another near the entrance door. So maybe figuring out some way to paint a tone on tone vertical stripe would be lovely...
How do you do that- with tape? Would you use a flat alternating with a satin finish paint? I read your other thread re: the eye following horizontal when you divide the room so I guess that really does make sense. It's a small space.
Any other ideas? The appliances are all white too... Where will I get some color into the room??? I wasn't planning to put anything on the french doors- I guess over the sink window and maybe with accessories & plants?
deb

Old 10-04-05, 08:43 AM
if you really want the beadboard wainscoting, here's an idea. since you're wanting color and a sort of country look, you could use the beadboard on bottom and wallpaper on top, so long as the background color of the paper is the same as what you paint the beadboard. for example, white painted beadboard with a white background wallpaper.

however, if you decide to paint the stripes, you can do a tone-on-tone several different ways: start by paint the whole wall in a low sheen paint like eggshell or satin (don't use flat in a kitchen), then tape off your stripes (use blue painters tape, burnish the edges really well so the paint won't seep underneath) and paint every other stripe with either (A) the same color in a glossier sheen, or (B) the same sheen but a shade lighter or darker of the same color, or (C) just use a clear or opalescent glaze. another twist to this would be to sponge on the 2nd stripe, so you'd have a solid painted stripe alternating with a mottled stripe, which would be less formal & more casual/country (like what you're wanting). just make sure the width of the stripes is in proportion to the size of your kitchen (i'm thinking equal 4-6" wide stripes).

you can add color with accessories, like canisters, towels, area rugs, window valances, colored bottles sitting on the window sill, pictures, etc. but in your small space, you might want to keep it simple.

Old 10-06-05, 07:38 PM
S
Question Striping paint

I love the idea of using 3-4" stripes of very close colors with different sheens-is there a finish in between a satin and a semi-gloss? Or would semi-gloss look alright? What would a glaze do that you mentioned? Do you think keeping it equal with each stripe being 3" would look best in this small space or leave more space b/t the 3" stripes?
Oh, and I asked my contractor and yes, the ceilings are lower than code but apparently if it's an older house they aren't required to heighten them- so it'll be going back to it's original level of ~87" when they replace the ceiling (looks like he's putting in some recessed lighting near the kitchen work area and just one central hole in the eat in kitchen part for ?maybe a hanging light fixture?)
That's another "design" question for you- with the low ceiling- can I still get away with installing a simple hanging fixture probably something in brushed nickel? I don't really want a fixed to the ceiling type of fixture I don't think...
deb

Old 10-07-05, 06:37 AM
i like stripes of equal width, but you can play around with different widths & go with whatever you like.

the stripes, if they are the EXACT SAME color need to be alternated 2 different sheens - enough of a difference that you can tell. use flat with something glossier, or satin with something glossier, etc. whatever you want, just so it's obvious that there's a contrast.

the glaze is just clear shiny stuff, so you could just buy one color of fairly flat sheen paint, and do stripes in the glaze.

sure, you could still do a hanging fixture over your table.

Old 10-08-05, 09:48 PM
S
Thanks!

Many thanks for the instruction/advice. I'll let you know how it comes out!
Glad about the hanging fixture too- I'm tired of all my lighting up on the ceilings... I'll keep it higher up though to try and elevate the eye.
YAY!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: