Do wood floors need to match wood Railing?

Old 10-26-05, 03:32 PM
robseidner
Visiting Guest
Do wood floors need to match wood Railing?

I have a home being built. It is a colonial with an L-shaped upstairs balcony/walkway, with a wood banister up the stairs and along the balcony. The builder polyurethained the rail in its natural color. The steps are going to be carpeted. The entire downstairs, except living room and kitchen, will be wood flooring. We would like to stain the floors a darker color (early american). Before we stain the floors, we are concerned that the floors and banister may not match. Can someone advise me if there will be a problem to have the different color woods. Both are made of Oak. Or, can the banister be stained at this point. Or if we stain the floors, can they be unstained?

Old 10-26-05, 04:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,231 Upvotes on 1,179 Posts
Wood does not have to match, it just has to coordinate. To give you an example, the stringers for the stairs in my in-laws' lake home are pine with just polyurethane on them and the railing is a lighty stained oak. They look fine together. If you look around, you'll find that wood colors hardly ever match.

Old 10-27-05, 06:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you can do whatever you want to do. do you like the color of the bannisters? are you pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised? if you like it, then consider doing the same with your floors. but if it were my house, i'd want the bannisters to match the flooring and the trimwork. and i'd prefer stained to just poly'ed, but i like darker, richer wood tones. but that's me. you do whatever you like. yes, it's true - wood tones just all need to blend nicely together. take into consideration all your other wood tones - furniture, woodwork, cabinetry, etc.

i wonder why the builder did that? if it's his mistake, and you wanted them stained, i'd ask him to strip off the poly & stain it the color your floors will be.

or, if your trimwork will be painted, like white or cream, you could paint the bannister the same. but the poly will still have to be stripped, or at least sanded down first.

Last edited by Annette; 10-27-05 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-27-05, 09:08 AM
C
The best thing to do is buy some samples and see how they look together. I'm sure you'll find a suitable combination. One thing I personally don't like is wood floors with carpeted stairs. You see these more often with all the wood floor remodels. I would prefer wood stairs. You can always add a carpet runner if you like the functionality of carpet, while maitaining a wood look.

Old 10-27-05, 07:17 PM
B
I agree with Annette. Since the woods are the same, they should have the same stain. If the floors are pre-finished, they will not have the same shade, but at least will complement each otehr. If they were different woods, I'd have a different opinion.

Have you seen oak stained in Early American? Not just the tiny samples, but a larger piece with definite grain?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: