More questions re: low ceiling...

Old 11-07-05, 08:59 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
More questions re: low ceiling...

Hi Annette and all,
I'm back. I still haven't chosen colors/style for my newly plastered Barbie doll house... The ceilings are ~87" high so I am opting as you advised to avoid the wainscotting in the kitchen. I'll probably go with the alternating stripes of same color with different sheen... so I think I'm OK in that room.
Now, I am faced with whether to have them use some thin crown moulding in any of the other rooms? I would like it in the living room just because otherwise the place just feels like a plain box... I hate boarders anyways and know that'd be a mistake given the low ceilings. However, I wonder if using white moulding or a washed color (a thin one rather than a heavily carved type) would be OK or would it also make the room feel pushed down. Also not sure if I should leave the ceilings white or paint them another color (or same as walls) I am leaning toward some shade of taupe/cool rather than warm tone... but I'm open to sage or a cool blue also... I want it to blend with the kitchen though it's separated by walls. I'm probably going with a light teal/aqua in the kitchen. It's harder this tiime as I have NO inspiration pieces for the living space which is opened up now by my removing a wall... It's a long room side to side, not width. No couch, drapes or rug yet! I have dogs so I will likely need a leather couch/or microfiber in a medium cocoa color or something not too light or dark? Not sure yet... I also love oriental rugs so with a print on the floor, I'll probably keep the fabrics in the room more plain.
I hate the colors yellow and red. I am more of a blue/green/purple person than autumn colors...
Any advice about how to keep this tiny 800sq ft home feeling "open"?
tx,
debbie

Old 11-10-05, 12:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
of course crown moulding will accentuate your low ceilings - you know that. accent trim accentuates - it draws attention to itself. that's where your eye will go. i wouldn't do a thin little crown moulding. it'll look puny & wimpy - don't even bother. either go for it & do a decent-size crown or don't do it at all. if the place lacks character & charm, and you want a very charming little dollhouse kind of place, then do the crown. for that matter, load up the place with details like crown moulding & beadboard wainscotting & color & pattern & charm if that's what you like. adopt the mindset that yes, the ceilings are low, but it's absolutely adorable, so who cares! just decide how you want the place to look.

if, however, your goal is to keep the ceiling as high as possible, then paint the ceilings the same as the walls with no crown. that way, you eliminate the eye-catching line of contrast where the 2 paint colors meet.

Old 11-10-05, 08:32 PM
S
Good Advice...

Thank you... My personal Jury is still "out" on just accepting the smallness of the home and as you say- dressing it up~ or trying for the semi-illusion of airy-ness (if that's a word?) by keeping it neutral and light in colors.
Guess I need to still give this more thought or LIVE there for a bit before deciding. I wanted to get the woodworking done while the carpenters are still around (it's cheaper and I don't own a saw)
Hmmm... probably best to GO WITH WHAT I LIKE- which will ultimately make the place LOOK smaller but will have the elements I know I enjoy!
bye for now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: