what color to paint to coordinate with furniture?

Old 11-16-05, 08:55 PM
eam0217
Visiting Guest
Question what color to paint to coordinate with furniture?

I have dark cherry home office furniture. what colors would you suggest for the walls of this room? I don't want the room to be too dark and dreary.

Old 11-17-05, 05:27 PM
eam0217
Visiting Guest
anyone? any opinions would be appreciated!

Old 11-18-05, 08:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forums. in order for anyone to help you, you'll have to provide more information than that. darn near any wall color will work with cherry furniture.

tell us about the colors in the adjoining rooms, colors you like, the color of the flooring and woodwork, and anything else in the room that will be staying that needs to be worked with, like pictures, lamps, chairs, etc.

help us to help you!!!

Old 11-18-05, 12:15 PM
eam0217
Visiting Guest
well so far, we have no decorations for the room, no window treatments, and the floor is a light colored wood floor but we want to carpet it. my boyfriend wants the walls to be a very very dark burgundy, i want to go lighter. the hallway right outside the room is a cream carpet and a light sage walls, the room next to it is empty and we haven't done anything to that one either. we just moved in a couple weeks ago. if we did a light trim do you think burgundy would be too dark? the desk is HUGE and takes up 1/3 of the room. its L shaped and has a hutch on one side.

Old 11-18-05, 12:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
actually, doing the walls a dark burgundy won't showcase the cherry desk at all. if you like the cherry wood, then to make it stand out, use the complimentary color which is green. since the hallway outside is sage, do the same color but a much darker, richer shade. you could even go with a navy blue or a deep chestnut color. but IMO, the worst color to pick would be one that is almost the same as the cherry.

since there's a window, it'll be light enough during the day, and at night, you'll have lamps/lights on, so i wouldn't think twice about using a dark color on the walls. it's the classic way to go for a home office or library for that rich, masculine look.

i wouldn't carpet over your wood floors. that would be a shame. do a nice large area rug instead and leave at least a 12" perimeter of wood showing around it.

Old 11-19-05, 01:14 AM
eam0217
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much Annette! Your input has helped tremendously!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: