Need a boost for my dining room

Old 01-16-06, 08:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need a boost for my dining room

Hi Annette!

I would like to repaint (and add anything else that may spruce up my dining area. I have an unusual combination to work with and I hope you have some ideas for me!

Most of our home has an 80's peach low pile, high quality carpet throughout. It is perfect shape, vacuums and cleans up nice, and I love that we don't have a whole bunch of different flooring transitions, although I would not have picked this color myself. This is the floor covering in the dining room. We have two windows with those grids in them, and two of those built in corner cabinets, also with the grids in the glass part. We just purchased a new table, which is bar height, cherry finish, and square. There is a chair rail molding in the room, and it is not large. On top of that, there is almost zero wall space, as the room has four entry ways into it, plus the windows.

Currently it is painted a medium to dark coral/rose color on top and a light tan on bottom. All woodwork is white. I want to repaint and I have zero ideas. I do not know how to pull the girds on the windows and cabinets and the modern table together. I love the darker color on top, because with so few boundaries, it helps it feel more united.

Thanks so much for any ideas you have!

Old 01-18-06, 12:08 PM
Hi & welcome to the forums!

well, based on what you've told me, it's no wonder you have zero ideas on what colors to paint with - because that's the same number of ideas i have, too!

have you read this? you cannot, actually should not, choose colors out of thin air. your choice should be based on something, like the colors in an area rug, or a fabric or some artwork. or pulled from something in an adjacent room. it's called your "inspiration piece". if this room has 4 entries (really?!), then it's the room that needs to tie all those other rooms together, so that your home's decor flows from room to room. you might even need to use a multi-colored wallpaper to accomplish that, since you might not want an area rug on top of carpet. you could also use a multi-colored fabric for a great window treatment. the peach carpet will limit you somewhat, but not much really. take a look around & see what items/fabrics/pictures/etc you have, that you like, and that you need to work around/with. if there's nothing there, then shop for new draperies or placemats or tablecloth or wallpaper and start there by pulling out a color from the item.

does that make sense?

Old 01-18-06, 04:00 PM
J
Thanks so much for your reply! I was totally taken by your article on color, & actually figured out just what I'm going to do in my playroom after reading it, which is what I was doing here in the first place! Thanks! You should write a book on this concept, it is absolutely fab!

I guess the dining room is stumping me because there is so little we have to decorate in there. There are very few places to hang stuff on the walls, and the table takes up literally the entire room, so there isn't a buffet we can put cute stuff on or anything. The 54"x54" table is the sole piece of furniture in the room ( and the 8 chairs). We keep it covered with a cheap flannel backed vinyl table cloth to protect it from our three young children. We don't have much say in what that looks like (we buy whatever we can find at the dollar store) so we don't take it into consideration, as we throw them out several times a year.

Yes, count 'em four. One is from a hallway, and the color from the dining carries half way down the hall to the foyer, which is painted pencil yellow. Then there is a door (we try to keep closed) going to the laundry room, and a doorway to the kitchen (which has basically no walls at all, except a soft, which is light blue, and then what little wall there is, it is painted the same tan as in the dining room. You can see into the family room, which is painted the same color as the dining below the chair rail, same white woodwork, and it is dark blue with a suede effect on top. The last entry is a huge chunk of missing wall, kind of like an arc way, but no arc, leading to the formal living room, which we use as an office/library and the piano is in there too. There isn't a chair rail in that room, and we painted it a medium sage/olive color, from the floor to about 5.5 feet up. The top of the room is painted that same tan color as the bottom in the dining room. I guess we tried to have that tan be the common factor, and the white moldings. Is it possible to post pictures to the threads here?

The cabinets are used for practical storage, although maybe having useful things behind glass doors is not helping the situation.??? Have you ever heard of the book "the not so big house"? I love the pictures in there, but I can't figure out what i love about them. I love clean, uncluttered and simple, and in the dining room, I do want the room to be all about the color. And maybe the light fixture, which I currently hate, so maybe between a valance and light, I can start there. ??? I do like the idea of looking for a multi colored window covering we would like. Right now we have sheer white valances with little crystals hanging from the pennants in there, so it isn't giving us much to run with.

What do you think about using the tan to try and tie everything together? Should it have been more of a statement color and less of an afterthought? I don't know if anyone even notices that we did that.

I laughed when you said to take into consideration the other rooms, because once, my brother commented about the three wall colors he could see while sitting at our computer, "ketchup, mustard and pickle relish. nice."

Thanks again for your help!
Tara

Old 01-19-06, 09:15 AM
thanks for the compliment!

so.......you've got pencil yellow, dark blue, light blue, sage/olive, coral/rose and tan? all over peach carpet? (where's the ketchup??) what's the unifying thing for all these colors? is there a sofa with a pattern that has all these colors in it? or a rug somewhere? any wallpaper anywhere? because, just on their own, i don't see the connection.

in a room like your dining room, with little wall space, i would add interest with wallpaper. and with so little wall space, you can get away with a really busy, wild, colorful pattern, since there won't be much of it. but if you like simple, uncluttered, clean lines, then don't worry so much about jazzing up the dining room. get a fantastic light fixture and really great draperies and let it be simple. let's face it ~ with a vinyl table cloth on the table, the room's just not going to be fabulous anyway! but maybe someday! (at least pick table cloths in a decent, solid color that doesn't attract much attention - like a dark brown to mimic wood, or a tan like the walls, etc! or switch to placemats that you can remove after each meal.)

i think you'll get this figured out on your own. you're obviously not afraid of color and you know what you want. just take a step back & look at what you've got.

Old 01-20-06, 09:34 PM
J
You crack me up Annette!

The ketchup is the dining room color. (It is faded ketchup.)

I think I did kind of figure out what is going on in our house. I use to LOVE bright vivid colors, and also nautical sort of themes, and items. So, we have some of that sort of stuff. But now I'm starting to like Panara Bread colors, very earthy, sage, gold, rust, and so on. Trouble is, when you foyer & family room are mostly primary colors, it makes it very hard to pull off the Panara Bread thing elsewhere.

Seems like we need to morph one way or the other perhaps. I'm just not sure which I'm willing to let go of! It is tough to choose what I REALLY like. I think that is why we have 12 totally different colors throughout our house. As far as the carpet goes, we just pretend like it isn't there! WE have never based anything on it's color. Kind of weird, huh?

Tara

Old 01-23-06, 11:41 AM
if you've had that peach carpet since the 80's, you've just gotten to where you don't even see it anymore. to you, it's become almost a neutral. but i guarantee you, when guests come over, they see it! it's really time you changed it out. it can't be in that good of condition after 25 years!!

i think if you update your carpeting to a nice berber or an actual earthy beige, & start by toning down all your pencil yellow to a gold, you'll be able to use all the earthy Panera Bread colors you now like.

Old 01-23-06, 09:22 PM
J
I like that idea of the gold!

Actually, we have only lived here for 3 years, and the older couple who lived here previously for 20 years had it installed. Because they had no pets and no children, and were almost never home, it still looks new. I really want to hold out until we can afford wood floors, or atleat that laminate stuff. I'm not a huge carpet fan.

I'm going to see if we can get anywhere with the gold color....

I hope peach NEVER comes back in style!...but, if it does, let it be before we replace this carpet!

Tara

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: