Kitchen Paint color

Old 01-18-06, 02:36 PM
johninfl
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Paint color

Looking to paint an accent wall in our kitchen. Currently we have dark cherry cabinets and stainless steel appliances. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-06, 11:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
good grief! you've gotta give me more than that to go on!

for instance, what color is on the other walls in the kitchen?

what colors are in the adjacent rooms?

what colors are your dishes/placemats/flooring/counters/window treatments.......????

share a little more info & then we'll go from there, ok?!

Old 01-19-06, 03:21 PM
johninfl
Visiting Guest
Sorry about the lack of info in the first post. The home is new so the walls are all that wonderful white color! The countertops are black marble and the floor is a light ceramic tile.

I was thinking that since the home has an open floor plan we could possibly pull some yellow out of the abstract canvas artwork we have in the family room and that would make things flow together pretty nicely.

But, does a yellow or orange paint go good with stainless steel/cherry cabinets?

Old 01-19-06, 03:30 PM
does a yellow or orange paint go good with stainless steel/cherry cabinets?
not really! stainless is a very cool color, as is the black & white (?) floor. i'd go with something like robin's egg blue or a sage green, or if you're funky, lavendar. these colors will enhance the cabinetry's cherry wood and play better off the stainless. imo, yellow with gray is the worst. some people like it, though.

but before you do anything, plan ahead a little. using this piece of abstract artwork as your inspiration, or jumping off point, is great! if you like all the colors in it, you can pull every room's color from it. so think ahead & ask yourself what other colors you'd use for the other rooms IF you start with _____ in the kitchen. if you do this exercise & realize that you'd rather use the ___ in the entry, and use ___ in the kitchen instead, then you've saved yourself having to repaint. i'm not saying you have to decide exactly on the colors for each room now & set it in stone, but just think ahead & there will surely be at least a couple rooms that you'll have some definite ideas about. say, for example, you're pretty sure you want a burgundy in the formal dining room - if you've got yellow in the kitchen, then what would you do for the space in between those rooms? just kind of map it out in your head & it will help to foresee decisions for other areas. i hope that makes sense.

but i'd personally give yellow or orange a thumbs down for your kitchen.

Old 01-19-06, 03:35 PM
here's another thought: kitchens are smallish spaces, usually with little actual wall space - ie: great places to use strong color that you wouldn't really want to use in a place like your family room with large wall spaces. so i'd say, if you like yellow, save it for a big room or a dark hallway, etc and use a stronger color (or even pattern) in the kitchen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: