What type/color carpet should I use?

Old 02-09-06, 11:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type/color carpet should I use?

For the bedrooms, which are painted in light gray (aka silver tradition). The trims, doors are semi gloss white. The rooms are going to be rented out and targeted for adults, so no kids will be laying/sleeping on them (plush is off then, though it feels so soft)..I was opting for textured carpet, rather than berber because of the mixed loop colors the latter has, but still undecided about the carpet color. I dont know the furniture people will be bringing, and what curtains color should i use?
any suggestions will be helpful

Last edited by pyro; 02-09-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-09-06, 08:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,183 Upvotes on 1,141 Posts
Based on your thread, I'm going to assume that you are furnishing these rooms. That gives you a little more freedom in your choices. First, I would look more at durability than style. Your tenants will not treat this as they would their own home and you will need something that is going to stand up to abuse and be able to be cleaned. After that, I would try to stick to fairly neutral colors, but a little color is ok as long as everything blends together well.

Old 02-10-06, 05:24 AM
P
it's unfurnished. that's why i rely on the wall color......two options, burgandy or blue....i like a light blue so easy to inspect stains. what do you think?

Last edited by pyro; 02-10-06 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-10-06, 10:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Sorry, I misread your post, you clearly state the tenants will be furnishing the rooms. I think burgundy and blue are both a little bold for an unfurnished rental. Ours come with tan carpet, tan drapes or blinds and an off-white color on the walls called ice cream. Boring? Yes. Goes with darn near everything? Yes.

Old 02-10-06, 10:43 AM
for the carpet, i would go with a gray, darker than the wall color - so sort of a light to medium shade. too light & it shows dirt, too dark & it shows every speck of dust & lint. with a gray color you're not locking the tenants into any particular color scheme. grays are fairly neutral. let them decide if they want blues or burgundys or whatever.

and i wouldn't install curtains. just white blinds.

Old 02-10-06, 06:43 PM
P
Originally Posted by Annette
for the carpet, i would go with a gray, darker than the wall color - so sort of a light to medium shade. too light & it shows dirt, too dark & it shows every speck of dust & lint. with a gray color you're not locking the tenants into any particular color scheme. grays are fairly neutral. let them decide if they want blues or burgundys or whatever.

and i wouldn't install curtains. just white blinds.
thanks annette.....your input is right on the money but i dont like going with a darker gray than the wall color because silver tradition looks dark gray for my taste....i know we want a little contrast, but a darker carpet will look awful....maybe i am overreacting

Old 02-10-06, 10:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
I think you're missing the point here - this isn't a room for you to decorate, it's a room where you need to create versatility so that people can see their stuff sitting in the room and not looking goofy because you have a scheme going that is incompatible with theirs. I think Annette was right on.

Old 02-13-06, 08:42 AM
you said the walls were "light gray" (silver tradition). they need to be light. if they seem "dark gray" to you, then they're too dark! keep the walls nice & light (but enough darker than the white trim so it stands out nicely), and the carpet a little darker.

white trim, lighter gray walls, slightly darker gray floor.

that said, next time you do this, go with creams, tans & beiges - they're much more versatile, homey & better with the wood tones of furniture than grays, which tend to be cooler & more contemporary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: