help with colors

Old 02-13-06, 11:59 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help with colors

Hello,

While I can match outfits, paints in the house are not so easy for me.

Any suggestions on the following?

Living room:
forest green couches, dark wood coffee table
what colors are best for the walls and trim for this room? The wall extends out a bit at a capped fireplace. I thought to paint that part of wall same color as trim or would that be funky?

Kitchen:
cherry cabinets, black appliances, brown/cream/gold granite countertop, dark wood table
What color would be best? The space is 14'x9'
I am at a complete loss, except I don't like red

Old 02-13-06, 02:05 PM
T
Sounds like the living room doesn't leave much room for color choices. With the forest green couches and dark furniture, I'd most likely use a lighter color. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave many choices that wouldn't clash with the couches. Are they solid forest green or a pattern? If there's a pattern, look for a light color in the weave to start with. Or if you have an area rug in there, see what colors are there to use.

As for the kitchen, I would pull the gold or cream from the countertop to paint the walls. Again, it sounds like everything is fairly dark. There are several shades of gold to choose from that are dark shades yet lighter color, if that makes sense..

Old 02-13-06, 02:25 PM
what colors are the floorings in these rooms?

Old 02-14-06, 11:22 AM
S
re

Hi,

floors are red oak. couches are solid cotton somewhere between forest and traditional sage. I took a cushion into home depot and couldn't even find a color matching it! No idea what would look good with green.

I was thinking of a light sage for the kitchen but maybe that doesn't make much sense? I only have one south facing window in a rather large room.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-06, 11:42 AM
using the same sage as your sofa in the kitchen is a great idea, but with your counters, i think pulling the gold would be better. you might be able to use the sage on an accent wall in the kitchen somewhere though. the gold would also be good in the living room with the green sofa. all you need is something like an oriental rug that has gold, green, maybe burgundy, brown, cream, and black to pull all this together. that's the only way to create a real color scheme. there's got to be something that has most of the colors in it to pull it all together. a rug, throw pillows, curtains, artwork, something that has multi colors in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: