Wood Trim questions

Old 03-03-06, 11:10 AM
LeleAnne
Visiting Guest
Wood Trim questions

Hello, I have some questions but first let me explain how our great room is set up.

In has this terrible blue carpet throughout the great room and hallways. We want to install laminate wood flooring. We just bought new furniture which we love. It is a dark cherry wood color.

Our trim is a lighter oak color. Our question is this: Do we match the furniture or the trim when deciding what color to pick for the laminate flooring? I say we need to match the trim so that our furniture contrasts with the floors but my husband wants a dark wood for the floors. I just think dark will clash with the furniture. Is there a certain rule of thumb for this? I think laminate will look very nice with our furniture, it's just a matter of color and if we don't match the trim, we will need to paint it white. I think painting it would be too much of an undertaking simply because the house has wood trim everywhere. I don't mind the wood trim, but I just want the room to come together and look nice. The new furniture is a dramatic improvement but the carpet looks out of place.

*edit to add: The kitchen that the great room looks into has a bay window that we painted the bottom burgundy (their is chair railing in the middle), and the top a beige color. It's in a completely different room with tile, but I wasn't sure if that was a key factor.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate it so so so much!

Last edited by LeleAnne; 03-03-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-03-06, 01:54 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trim thoughts

hi, if the furniture has a dark finish its probably formal looking. if so i would match the floors and the trim. if your room won't be formal than the contrast of the dark cherry and the lighter oak would look nice. sometimes you can get a sample piece of laminate from the flooring store, maybe it would be a good idea to get 1 piece in oak and 1 in cherry and set it next to your furniture and see which one you like better. i hope this helps

Old 03-07-06, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even if your trimwork was painted white, i'd suggest the lighter oak flooring. you don't want your furniture AND flooring to be the same color - it needs to at least be a lighter color with a darker color. (if you decide to compromise with your husband and go with a lighter cherry color and white baseboards, think ahead to how that will affect the rest of the house - you may end up having to paint all the trim and doors white, and if there are oak cabinets throughout.....??? it's usually easiest to stay true to the house - imagine it empty - does it still look right with cherry laminate in the greatroom?) in other words, you want the floor to look like it's always been there, right? (especially important when it's time to sell!) therefore, if you don't want to paint the trim, you need to use the same color flooring as your baseboards. no one would ever lay a cherry floor & then nail up oak baseboards.

the lighter oak floor will be great with your darker cherry furniture. contrast is good. just be sure the floor color isn't the very orangey oak color, or the burgundies & cherries will clash. go for a mildly honey toned oak or lighter.

after you've decided on a color from the little swatches they give/sell you, buy one whole carton of the planks (note the Run # of the box). click them all together to make a square & move it from place to place so you can get a good idea of what it looks like with all the different grain patterns together & in the different lighting & areas of the room. then when you're positive that's what you want, buy the rest that you'll need of the same run.

Last edited by Annette; 03-07-06 at 02:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: