Different Carpet in hallway

Old 03-08-06, 08:04 AM
hillbie
Visiting Guest
Different carpet on stairs and landing

We have added a 2nd story with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms to our home. We are now chosing carpet. I wanted to use a very low pile nylon, office grade, high traffic carpet with a small pattern, on the stairs and on the 2 small landings. I think maybe it's a loop style. Then I wanted a higher pile, softer and cushion nylon neutral carpet in the bedrooms that are upstairs. The salesman suggested that most people use all one carpet up the stairs and in the bedrooms.

The carpet is mainly for the stairs because the layout is: the carpet flows up a flight of stairs then turns on a landing then reaches an upper landing. There is a door that is straight ahead into a laundry room. Then there are 2 doors on either side that lead into the 2 very large bedrooms with private baths.

My main concern is that I don't want to replace or constantly bring in a carpet cleaner for the stairs. Whenever I see stair carpet I typically see a flatten middle area or a runner of dirt. We don't want to use wood on the stairs...too noisy, cold and we don't have hard wood anywhere other than oak baseboard.

What is being done in most homes today? Obviously I can do what I want, but I am looking for a designers expertise.

Last edited by hillbie; 03-08-06 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-08-06, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would use the same carpet on the stairs as in the hallways & bedrooms. you shouldn't have a problem with dirt on the stairs, since any dirt from shoes has long since been rubbed off in the previously walked-through rooms. another tip is to not walk barefoot on your carpet, as the oils from your feet rub off onto the carpet and then attract dirt to those areas. as for matting, i'm a big fan of berber carpet, because it doesn't develop noticeable traffic patterns, as the loop is low to begin with. the speckled variety hides lint & stuff, so it looks good all the time. the commercial grade type you're talking about, i think would look too commercial - and when put in a home, will look out of place and possibly cheap. it may even appear that you've used the old kitchen carpet. i would work hard to make your addition seem like it's always been part of your house and NOT an add-on.

but, if you're pretty set on wanting the higher pile plush in the bedrooms, i would suggest using the berber on the stairs & all landings & hallways, and then switching to the plush at the bedroom doors. keep the color of the 2 carpets as close as possible, or neutral & coordinating.

you might ask about using a thinner pad on the stairs to reduce the "flattened middle area" syndrome. but no carpet will last forever, and stairs & hallways do get the most traffic & wear, but choosing a commercial carpet is a bit drastic, i think. choose an appropriate carpet & replace it when it looks shabby (it's a small enough area, it shouldn't be too expensive). or go with wood (you could do a wood area by the front door entry to tie the woods together).

what flooring is at the bottom of these stairs??? it needs to work with the stairs, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: