We've got the blues!

Old 03-13-06, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've got the blues!

We bought a condo last year as a rental but its been such a pain we are selling it. The price we paid was pretty good because of the color scheme (purple wallpaper and blue carpets) with taps and towel bars painted red. No one liked it.

There is a "real" blue carpet in the living room right as you enter.

Flowing into the LR is the kitchen, which has white liino with very blue 2 inch diamonds in each square.

Most of the other carpets are mainly greyish with a light blue hue.

The doors and cupboards are brown wood (not real wood)

All the flooring is actually in real good shape so we don't want to replace it.

We are installing white 3" baseboards.

My wife would like to go with a light "pretty" pearl gray on the walls. The sample was some sort of Mist Gray.

She brought home some patches from Home Depot that showed gray is the "in" color this year. The pictures show the gray with white trim and it looks fabulous.

I wanted to go with just an off-white since we are selling the place and if someone doesn't like gray, they probably won't buy. However, the gray looks pretty nice and its called a "neutral".

Any thoughts?

Old 03-13-06, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
We bought a condo last year as a rental but its been such a pain we are selling it. The price we paid was pretty good because of the color scheme (purple wallpaper and blue carpets) with taps and towel bars painted red. No one liked it.

There is a "real" blue carpet in the living room right as you enter.

Flowing into the LR is the kitchen, which has white liino with very blue 2 inch diamonds in each square.

Most of the other carpets are mainly greyish with a light blue hue.

The doors and cupboards are brown wood (not real wood)

All the flooring is actually in real good shape so we don't want to replace it.

We are installing white 3" baseboards.

My wife would like to go with a light "pretty" pearl gray on the walls. The sample was some sort of Mist Gray.

She brought home some patches from Home Depot that showed gray is the "in" color this year. The pictures show the gray with white trim and it looks fabulous.

I wanted to go with just an off-white since we are selling the place and if someone doesn't like gray, they probably won't buy. However, the gray looks pretty nice and its called a "neutral".

Any thoughts?

i'm not expert but i will offer my opinion.

i would go with the white....that way the new owners can be the ones to decide what color they want to paint their new home. i would think that if any color would be "more" apealing, it would be the white even if the grey looked good.
some ppl want to personlize their home and having fresh white walls to paint over would even be better.

the grey and white do sound great and in fact they are the colors i would love to do on the outside of my home....grey w/ white trim and a really red door.

good luck w/ the sale.

Old 03-13-06, 08:44 PM
deb2me81
Visiting Guest
Staging for sale

I would go with a gray. Gray is a neutral color, just as is white. However, most whites come across as sterile and unappealing. Purchasers prefer "turn key," i.e., the home is in move-in condition and requires no work, and that includes painting. If you doubt that people prefer to purchase turn key rather than paint their own colors, just turn on the TV or open a magazine. Staging a home for sale has been finally recognized as key to selling your property. Watch "Sell this House," and the last thing you will see is painting the walls white. I vote for a gray.

-Deb

Old 03-13-06, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. Its nice having opinions of people that have an interest in this.

I am curious though, in the staging for a sale, do they really never paint with white? Thats an interesting point. How wild do they get with these colors or do they stick with neutrals? I can't think of gray as a neutral but apparently it is.

Old 03-13-06, 09:39 PM
deb2me81
Visiting Guest
Staging for sale

Almost never do they go for wild colors. They keep them pretty neutral. Every once in a while a "wild" color will be used as a highlight, but in a very limited fashion.

Old 03-14-06, 11:30 AM
i wouldn't paint the walls white, because then your nice white trimwork won't show off well at all. at least with the gray, they will. however - i wouldn't want gray walls either, especially with brown cabinets. you're not going to please all the people all of the time, and you don't want white, so there is a color choice to be made. i would go with a very soft warm yellow. not cream ~ yellow, but very soft. it's cheery and instantly adds a sunny glow & homey look to any room. yellow & blue is a classic color scheme that appeals to many people. it's not a terribly strong color, but it will look as though the place is decorated (whereas white looks like you didn't do anything), and your white trim will still stand out, and the brown cabinets (any wood tones, actually) will look nice with it, too.

Old 03-14-06, 05:03 PM
Thanks all.

Yellow it is. Its my favorite color and I had already suggested doing the kitchen and hallways with it because they are far removed from windows.

One problem with using yellow will be covering the 3 or four different dark colors we discovered under the wallpaper, plus there is a very dark blue going half way up the wall in the kitchen.

I'm off to the painting forum for suggestions on blocking primers.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-06, 08:17 AM
OK,

This is not going well. I have two coats of yellow primer ove rthe blue but it is not covering. I don't want to paint this room 6 times.

I will use the yellow in bedrooms and hallways. It will look excellent.

Is there another color that may cover the blue but still look good given the flooring and yellow?

Old 03-15-06, 08:20 AM
primer wasn't meant to give complete coverage. you should only need one coat of primer & 2 coats of color. it'll be worth it. please stick with the yellow.

Old 03-15-06, 11:21 AM
Thanks Annette.

Things are starting to look up. You know, I really love yellow. I'd have every wall I own a shade of it if it was up to me.

Old 03-15-06, 06:21 PM
B
Like Annette said, primer is not top coat. While you still need good coverage, it will not completely hide the color underneath.

Yellow is one of the hardest to get good coverage. Using cheap paint (read paint from a big box or discount chain) and cheap tools just makes the task even harder. Quality paint (like Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore) does a better job. Using quality tools also helps as they hold more paint and release the paint to the wall better.

Old 03-16-06, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the yellow suggestion Annette. We can't get over how nice it looks with the blue and white. If there was an award for good ideas, you'd be a "shoe" in for it.

What a difference! It looks simply faaaabuloous.

PS: skipped the primer and went with 2 coats of Behr Ultra White tinted a soft yellow. Worked great.

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-17-06 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 07:29 AM
glad it worked out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: