Master bedroom decorating dilemma

Old 04-27-06, 12:36 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Master bedroom decorating dilemma

Recently we gutted our master bedroom, removed one closet to increase our master bath, took a closet from a spare room to create one huge wall to wall closet in the MB. The room is approx. 14 1/2 x 12 3/4 the closet is on the largest wall. We put in new windows, new base boards, molding around the doors and windows, added crown molding, all in a crisp, clean white. We painted two walls in a gorgeous navy color and the other two in a soft pale blue. We love it! But that about does our redesign. We are at a lost for window treatments, flooring and furniture color. It's practically a clean slate so pretty much our options should be endless, but we cannot decide on colors. Looking for a relaxed,romantic feel with a little punch. Our style is somewhat contemporary yet with a hint of traditional.We were thinking on perhaps chocolate color carpet, but not sure if furniture should be dark or light. If we go with a light color carpet, can we incorporate the chocolate in the furniture and perhaps window treatments? We don't want to be locked into a color carpet such as blue and I really hate light carpet. Please help with our dilemma.
Thank you
Jamjam
PS I should mention that we purchased two types of bedding and lighting. The bedding is dark blue,cream,brown pin stripe on white with coordinating sheets and shams or second choice is a luxurious sort of patch quilt design with different fabrics such as satins,silks and velvet,various textures,beading and embellishments, with shades of blue from dark to light, slate grey and silvers, coordinating shams and the sheets are solid light blue. We have also purchases decorative pillows to match, all in solids but have pattern textures, in light blues,silvers and chocolate brown.

Last edited by Jamjam; 04-27-06 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 11:11 PM
K
I used to have chocolate brown carpet and HATED it...it shows every speck of every piece of lint, dust, etc....a total nightmare.

A better choice might be a tan or neutral carpet and then dark area rugs where you want more intense color.

Old 04-28-06, 09:52 AM
i would go with light flooring, either light carpet (surely you can't hate ALL light carpet in all carpet styles???) or light wood and then use dark wood furniture with the striped bedding.

Old 04-28-06, 02:46 PM
J
Thanks for the suggestions! I don't hate light colored flooring, just can't stand the fact that it shows all the lint, guess I'll have the same with Dark carpet. Guess I could always go with a taupe color but more brown than yellow? Was thinking maybe Expresso or spice color wood for furniture with some brushed metal accents, what do you think? It will match the lighting fixtures we just purchased, brushed chrome with crystals in clear and dark blue and also the picture frames for the two prints I have for the walls.

Old 04-28-06, 03:20 PM
if you can find a carpet that's not so light that it shows dirt too much, and not so dark that it shows all the lint, you'll be fine. i love the berber carpets with specks of color in it. it hardly shows any matting from traffic patterns, and lint/threads/etc doesn't show at all. the frieze styles have a speckled style, too, if you prefer more of a plush style, than a loop. at the very least, get the trackless kind of plush to hide footprints & vacuum marks better.

the dark espresso furniture with brushed nickel hardware would be great with a light to medium taupe-mocha carpet. with the cool blues & nickel, i'd stay more toward grayish browns (taupe) and avoid anything yellowy (beige/tan).

Old 04-28-06, 06:49 PM
Jamjam

The second patch set sounds wonderful. Is it necessary to cover the floors? Can they be restained ect? and then you wouldn't be dedicated to what or which carpet you select. I would play up the slate grey you have in the quilt just as long as it isn't the deep muted grey. Too much silver will give your room a brighter look so be careful on how much you use. In my family room we have a couch that is slate grey (even though my husband still saids blue ) but anyhow the throw pillows have 2 tones of tan, rust and light blue and the chocolate. This couch has gotten alot of compliaments. Our flooring is wood and we purchased a huge area rug. I have plantation shutters on the windows. Hope this helped I am sure you will make the room beautiful and cozy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: