ceiling paint color

Old 05-06-06, 05:54 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ceiling paint color

I will be painting the molding in my kitchen a color similar to antique white, which is a pretty dark white. It has to coordinate with almond formica cabinets. (I am choosing a color which is more tan than yellow looking.) But should I paint the ceiling to match the molding, or can I paint the ceiling a lighter shade of offwhite - in the 'shell white' category? I think that a lighter ceiling would add light to the room. The walls will be light blue leaning toward grey, two tone either sponge or the woolie you suggest. thanks for any opinions

Old 05-07-06, 01:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Tradionally ceilings are always painted white [which is my personal choice], but there is no hard set rules and since it is your own ceiling you can paint it what ever color you like.

White and light colors will tend to give more light. I have painted numerous homes where the ceilings were 1/2 or less of the wall color. You could also have the ceiling paint tinted to a fraction of your moulding color.

Remember you only have to please you and yours with the paint color AND paint isn't all that expensive so if you decide you don't quite like it - no biggie, just repaint.

Old 05-07-06, 06:14 PM
B
Any shade of off-white will look good. And like Mark said, if you hate it, its not hard to repaint.

Old 05-08-06, 12:51 PM
assuming by "moulding" you're talking about crown moulding, bright ceiling white paint might be too stark white next to antique white, and might actually make the trimwork look dingy. and with almond cabinets, it might be too many shades of white. i think i would paint the ceiling the same antique white as the moulding.

think of your ceiling as you would your floor. for example, if you were putting in new vinyl flooring in this room, would you even consider bright white? or would you choose flooring in a softer white like the antique or almond colors? i would imagine you'd go softer. your ceiling takes up a considerable amount of space in the room. don't discount it & "just paint it the usual ceiling white" for lack of a better reason. any light color will be okay, so don't settle for bright white when a lighter version of the antique white would be better/softer.

what color are your appliances? bright white, almond, black, stainless....? what color is the trimwork in the rest of the house? what color of ceilings in the other rooms?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: