What to use to seperate [paint colors in] 2 rooms

Old 05-08-06, 09:23 AM
mcoates94
Visiting Guest
What to use to seperate [paint colors in] 2 rooms

My kitchen has a continuous wall running into the dining room and I'd like to paint the dining room a different color than the kitchen. There is a ceiling divider that hangs about 1 foot down but I have nothing on the walls to distinguish where one room could stop and another begin.

Are there any common solutions from anyone who has encounterd this?

I'll add that the ceiling divider is 4.75" wide and I've looked for a decorative trim piece in that dimension that I could run down the walls but so far haven't had any luck finding one.

Thanks

Old 05-08-06, 10:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Walls such as yours are almost always painted one color the entire length. I have chaulked a straight line to divide colors but IMO it doesn't look all that great.

If you decide to use trim to divide the wall it doesn't have to bee the same width as your ceiling joist. You can place trim either on either side or down the middle. You also could put a moulding on each side and then paint the mouldings and wall inbetween with your trim paint.

The best way to divide the 2 rooms would be to build out the section below your ceiling divider [make the wall jut out], but this would involve the most work.

Old 05-08-06, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We seperated our kitchen using different shades of the same color but that probably isn't what you are looking for.

Additional to what Mark suggested, I have always wanted to use clouded glass as a divider with a thin frame. I thought it would less obtrusive than a wall and gives lots of options. Another idea is to put a tall plant in a bucket right at the dividing line.

Old 05-08-06, 12:04 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marksr
Walls such as yours are almost always painted one color the entire length....
The best way to divide the 2 rooms would be to build out the section below your ceiling divider [make the wall jut out]
I'd have to agree there
Off-hand, there's no good way I can think of to just change the color in a middle of a wall
I have used trim in commercial apps, but I'm not sure how that'd work in a home

It doesn't mean the rooms have to be the same color, the wall could just be the one color that works as an accent wall in both rooms

Old 05-08-06, 12:38 PM
mcoates94
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. An accent wall sounds like the way to go but unfortunate for me because the kitchen color is a shade of orange. My mind can't visualize what will compliment that other than - orange.

Old 05-08-06, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
orange is a pretty strong color, but all the colors in your home should be flowing nicely with each other, so it shouldn't be that hard to utilize at least one wall of it in your dining room. lots of colors go with orange. what other colors are you using with it in your kitchen now? if you have a fruit theme going, then you're probably using yellow, orange, red & green already. any neutral like beige, taupe, cream, or gold would be good with it, although i've seen it with greens, blues and reds and it looked great, too. think "autumn" colors or "southwestern" themes or even "retro" for ideas.

but whatever you do, pleeeeeeeze don't change colors mid-wall. it NEVER looks good, no matter what kind of moulding (or lack of) you use. you are working against the natural architecture of your home by doing that and it will be obvious that you just slapped up some trim for the purpose of changing paint colors. your one long wall is giving those 2 spaces the feeling of one large space. by chopping the wall into 2 separate color areas, your space will feel & look much smaller. either keep that wall one color & call it "an accent color" in the dining room (which would look very smart), or install a chair rail in such a way that you can use the orange just below the trim and a different color above (if you want the minimum amount of the orange in the DR).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: