color help

Old 05-18-06, 09:39 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
color help

I've been using the home depot and sherwin williams sites for virtual paint of diff rooms and I can't seem to come up with a combination that looks good.
I want to do my kitchen that has formica cabinets and are a pale yellow, white counter, and light tan (fake stone) floor. There is a soffit above the cabinets and all the way around. A wall with a pantry in the middle of it that comes out from the wall. I would like to do the pantry and soffit one color and the walls another.
I'm just no good at this kind of thing, and there is no room for pic's so I cant go off something like that. I can change the little curtain for the window.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 05-18-06, 09:57 AM
W
with your pale yellow and tan flooring, how about looking into some eggplant or deep purple hues. Paint the jutt out and the soffit the stronger accent color and use one of the other hues on the strip for the remaining color of the kitchen.

Other colors to consider are deep olive/moss greens, cranberry/wine colors, or different hues of reds/barn reds/ rustic reds.

Old 05-18-06, 10:40 AM
F
Thank you so much! I was going in the blue direction and getting nowhere. I like your ideas much better!

Old 05-18-06, 11:49 AM
is a strip of soffit really something to be accented?? i don't think so. think about the things you want to show off. decide on a focal point. in a kitchen, it's usually the cabinets. if you don't want to repaint the yellow ones, you could use the pantry as a focal point. but then paint the soffit & the walls the same color. if you paint all these different things/spaces a different color, you're really creating a very visually confusing & choppy room. kitchens tend to have a lot going on. you've got the counters & cabinets & flooring & walls, plus all the appliances & canisters & towels & area rugs & curtains, possibly a table & chairs, etc....there's a lot going on there. try to keep it simple. you've already got white, yellow & tan going on - you don't need more than one more color. personally, i would try to unify the space by painting the pantry the same yellow as the cabinets and then use a different color for the walls/soffit, like a soft sage green or a pale blue or a terra cotta color. but to decide on a specific color, find an item that already has a color scheme that you like. it could be a hand towel, an area rug, a placemat, anything that has a color combination that you like, and that contains your white, tan & yellow plus some other color/s. it's a lot easier deciding on a wall color by taking inspiration from something, versus picking a random color out of thin air. and remember, this room needs to flow with all the other rooms that connect to it (probably the family room, maybe a dining room?). so take a look at what you've got in those rooms (sofa upholstery, area rugs, carpeting, draperies, etc) & coordinate everything. it's not just a matter of "what goes with yellow" unless this is the first room of an entire home makeover!

Old 05-19-06, 09:01 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
read previous theme

www.noadvertisingallowed.com

Life is Goooooooooooooooood

************ADVERTISING IN THESE FORUMS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND GROUNDS FOR IMMEDIATE & PERMANENT BANNING.

Last edited by Annette; 05-19-06 at 10:15 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: