I am a decorating disaster

Old 05-28-06, 09:29 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I am a decorating disaster

We bought our first house two years ago. I'm working on decorating it so that it looks more current and neutral. We won't be staying here for more than 5 years, so we really need it to appeal for buyers.

I have a few simple questions that I would REALLY appreciate advice with:

1. Crown Moldings - does it make a rectangular room look more like an alley, or would it be enhancing?

2. I have a computer room that is about 11 X 11. It holds lots of books and a teak colored L-shaped desk. It has a chair rail and lower half painted beige. What would be best? Could I paint just the top half dark red or would that make it look too small?

3. All the windows and doors are finished natural wood (birch yellow-y.) My inclination is to paint them. Any advice on whether or not that would be the best look?

I know this is a lot of questions , but I keep messing up. We had a flood 3 weeks after we moved in. We had to redo the basement, and I picked dark green and burgundy for wall colors. It's a bit loud against a beige berber. The laundry room down there is beige and soft sage and looks great. What was I thinking? LOL! Will probably repaint burgundy to brown. Basement is big so not an issue with dark colors.

TIA for any help!

Respectfully,

Lori

Old 05-28-06, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JanieBeast, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I am not a decorator so these are personal opinions. Crown molding gives a "finished" look to a room. Dark colors make a room look smaller. Many people prefer a natural look on the trim and mouldings. Good luck with your projects.

Old 05-28-06, 07:33 PM
J
Smile Thanks!

Opinions are just what I need. I'm learning as a I go.

I usually prefer finished wood, but this is pretty ugly. It's early 70's birch with a very high gloss finish. It almost makes a nice ranch house look like a little cabin. It's a large house, very roomy, but these doors and windows look old and cruddy. I don't know if I should approach trying to replace with 6 panel doors.

I love crown molding, molding in general is just a great thing. I used rope molding and cove molding on the kitchen cabinets.

What kinds of colors are good to go with? I'm using a very neutral shade of green with beige in the kitchen with a plaid valance that is very current looking. As I branch into the rest of the house, I was thinking of doing things in shades of beige with white trim moldings. I see that a lot lately. In main rooms I can go with much darker as rooms are very good sized. Bedrooms - they're not. It's always the way!

I like to hear opinions about decorating and it's really hard to get them. Thank you so much for answering!

Lori

Old 05-30-06, 11:57 AM
Hi Lori! here's my 2 cents:

1. Crown Moldings - does it make a rectangular room look more like an alley, or would it be enhancing?

*** it depends. as long as it's in proportion to the ceiling height and painted a light color, it'll enhance. if you've got regular 8' ceilings, don't go too big & bulky with the moulding like you see in homes with high ceilings. if you stain it, it will make the ceiling appear lower & it will enhance any bowling alley feel as it will accentuate the long horizontal line of the room. but painted white, it'll be a nice finishing touch.

2. I have a computer room that is about 11 X 11. It holds lots of books and a teak colored L-shaped desk. It has a chair rail and lower half painted beige. What would be best? Could I paint just the top half dark red or would that make it look too small?

*** don't worry about "small" - if you want a cozy, rich, masculine "library" feel, use the red on top. however, you'll need to tie the 2 colors together with something (valance, area rug, artwork, etc). also, it might seem a bit top heavy unless the flooring is darker than the beige or you use a darker area rug to provide balance.

3. All the windows and doors are finished natural wood (birch yellow-y.) My inclination is to paint them. Any advice on whether or not that would be the best look?

I usually prefer finished wood, but this is pretty ugly. It's early 70's birch with a very high gloss finish. It almost makes a nice ranch house look like a little cabin. It's a large house, very roomy, but these doors and windows look old and cruddy.

*** if all the trimwork seems ugly, dingy or dated, by all means, paint everything! painted trim (white or off-white) is crisp & clean, gives an instant lift to dark & dated homes, & goes with everything. it's a big undertaking, but well worth it. with white trim, different wood tones in furniture look better & don't clash or compete as much, & wood floors & cabinetry stand out more. also, neutral wall colors like beige, which maybe seem dull & boring with stained trim (especially yellow-toned stain) will pop & look great when framed in with white trimwork.

Old 05-30-06, 12:08 PM
J
Smile Great!

Thank you so much for your great advice. I wish I were more talented with this. I am doing better at picking out up to date and clean looking projects. Did I say thank you???!!!!!

Lori

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: