Need paint color advice to go with new bamboo floors


  #1  
Old 06-07-06, 08:21 AM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need paint color advice to go with new bamboo floors

I just bought a new apartment in washington dc and will be installing vertical natural bamboo flooring. I have a black leather 3-seat couch, and a totally clear glass coffee table. My tv stand is black and silver with glass shelving, and my tv is a black/silver dell 37" lcd. So, the big colors are black and silver in my apartment. I have no rugs, nor do I want any. I am not planning on buying any other furniture/decorations. (Yes, I am somewhat of a minimalist, lol)

There are two main rooms I am painting, my bedroom and living room. Both are fairly large (about 800 sq. ft. total) and get LOTS of natural light.

Anyway, I am wondering what wall and ceiling paint suggestions people have? Given that the vertical natural bamboo flooring is almost yellow in color, I was thinking of either a cranberry color for the wall, or maybe a very light green/gray? Thoughts?
 
  #2  
Old 06-07-06, 10:21 AM
Annette's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't think you're going to be served well by canvassing the opinions of strangers. decorating is very personal. you need to choose a color that you will love being surrounded by every day. you need to decide if you want a cool crispy airy environment or a warm cozy one. lots of color or more monochromatic. high or low contrast. with only black, silver & yellow-toned wood to work with, your options are pretty much endless. isn't there anything in the room from which you can base a color choice? a picture? a throw pillow? ashtray?
 
  #3  
Old 06-07-06, 01:57 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Annette
i don't think you're going to be served well by canvassing the opinions of strangers. decorating is very personal. you need to choose a color that you will love being surrounded by every day. you need to decide if you want a cool crispy airy environment or a warm cozy one. lots of color or more monochromatic. high or low contrast. with only black, silver & yellow-toned wood to work with, your options are pretty much endless. isn't there anything in the room from which you can base a color choice? a picture? a throw pillow? ashtray?
Nope... But, maybe I can start smoking so I have an excuse to buy an ashtray?? :-)

I guess I was just wondering what some nice trendy colors that would go well with a vertical natural bamboo floor would be... I like a cool crispy environment, something that looks crisp!
 
  #4  
Old 06-08-06, 11:14 AM
Annette's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
then i'd say you'd be pretty happy with blues or greens. i've seen a lot of pale robin's egg blue used with black, and sagey greens would be good with the floor.

or if you decide to go monochromatic, pick a lighter version of the floor color.
 
  #5  
Old 06-08-06, 05:44 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Annette
then i'd say you'd be pretty happy with blues or greens. i've seen a lot of pale robin's egg blue used with black, and sagey greens would be good with the floor.

or if you decide to go monochromatic, pick a lighter version of the floor color.
I was originally thinking about these two RL paint colors: Nobleman (for the livingroom/dining room) and Shale Blue (for the bedroom)/

Thoughts on those?
 
  #6  
Old 06-09-06, 08:14 AM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by technique
I was originally thinking about these two RL paint colors: Nobleman (for the livingroom/dining room) and Shale Blue (for the bedroom)/

Thoughts on those?
Just realized I should provide a URL and also mention that they are both from the Vintage Masters collection:

http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/produc...1&f=lp&start=0
 
  #7  
Old 06-09-06, 11:32 AM
D
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,204
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are the colors? I can't seem to find them. Is it in "Island Brights" or "whitewash"?

Sorry...I got lazy searching everywhere else.
 
  #8  
Old 06-09-06, 01:12 PM
Annette's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by technique
I was originally thinking about these two RL paint colors: Nobleman (for the livingroom/dining room) and Shale Blue (for the bedroom)/

Thoughts on those?
if you like them, i'm sure they'd be great, seeing as how they don't have to go with anything.
 

Last edited by Annette; 06-09-06 at 03:11 PM.
  #9  
Old 06-09-06, 02:38 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYaddict
Where are the colors? I can't seem to find them. Is it in "Island Brights" or "whitewash"?

Sorry...I got lazy searching everywhere else.
They are in the "VINTAGE MASTERS" collection.
 
  #10  
Old 06-09-06, 03:05 PM
D
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where the cows roam, CA
Posts: 2,204
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Durrr! Thanks..

Annette is right as you could probably choose any color! AND we are strangers and have different taste...BUT if you want a cool crispy feeling, I don't think those are the colors for that. Those colors are very pretty but on the dark side.

I would definitely suggest going to the paint store or big box stores and get an actual sample if you haven't already... as what you see on the computer may differ from the actual color.
 
  #11  
Old 06-18-06, 04:51 PM
T
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,816
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colors tend to be more easily selected from fabrics and area rugs you have chosen. They may come from a throw pillow that caught your eye or a piece of china or other decorative item such as a painting. These items probably caught your eye because of the colors, and these colors can be the palette off which you work.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: