trim and wainscoat color

Old 06-11-06, 11:50 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trim and wainscoat color

Reference to the picture link below, I want to change the trim and wainscoat to white trim while keeping the shelves in the existing color. Do you think this will look good. I feel that the dark color trim does not brighten the room

Your idea is appreciated.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSC00295.jpg

Thanks

Old 06-11-06, 11:54 AM
B
Originally Posted by sethramesh
Reference to the picture link below, I want to change the trim and wainscoat to white trim while keeping the shelves in the existing color. Do you think this will look good. I feel that the dark color trim does not brighten the room

Your idea is appreciated.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=DSC00295.jpg

Thanks
I guess it's a personal choice. I would leave it the way it is and if I did paint it I would also paint the shelves. BTW did you even get that fridge to fit?

Old 06-11-06, 12:29 PM
S
Thanks. No I ahve not. I am going to be removing the cabinet next week

Originally Posted by BuiLDPro68
I guess it's a personal choice. I would leave it the way it is and if I did paint it I would also paint the shelves. BTW did you even get that fridge to fit?

Old 06-18-06, 04:48 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If trim in rest of house is unpainted, I would keep trim as is. Walls could, however, become more dramatic with color as could fireplace in a shade or two lighter than walls. The stark white fireplace painted the same color as the ceiling is too stark of a contrast from the dark bookcases. Dark color above wainscoating will draw eyes to the walls. Dark color on wainscoating will draw eyes to wainscoating and moldings.

If you consider the ceiling as a 5th wall, a shade or two lighter than the walls will help in making room appear larger and soften the contrast between walls and ceiling. Your fabrics can be your guide in selecting paint colors for your room.

One trick is to paint back of bookcases the same color as the walls or, better yet, a deeper accent color to showcase accessories which are badly needed in this room. The fireplace needs a piece of artwork above the mantle and accessories on the mantle. The hearth could also benefit from a brass screen and accessories.

Carpet can be replaced with hardwood and colorful area rug used to provide drama and coordinate colors. Windows can also be covered with soft sheers to soften the walls.

Old 06-19-06, 11:27 AM
i agree - unless you're painting ALL the trimwork in the entire house white, don't paint the trim in just this one room white.

i actually like the stained wood in this room. i think the problem in the bland stark wall color and the boring color on the brick fireplace. that off white color is sucking the life out of the woodwork and doing nothing to enhance it. by just putting better colors on the walls & brick, i think you'll actually like the stained woodwork. it will seem warm & rich then.

you might consider re-doing the fireplace. that teeny little mantle and ho-hum fireplace opening is a bit boring & dated. look into buying or building a wooden fireplace surround that would better reflect the other woodwork in the built-ins and give the fireplace a more substantial presence.

HOWEVER, if your only question is truly "I want to change the trim and wainscoat to white trim while keeping the shelves in the existing color. Do you think this will look good.", my answer is no. it will look like you forgot to paint the bookcases and they won't look like nice built-ins anymore, which are great. they'll look like they were built later & stuck there, which isn't great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: