choosing trim color for hallway

Old 07-09-06, 03:06 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
choosing trim color for hallway

I have ceramic tile, medium tan, in the kitchen and hallway with dark brown grout. The kitchen trim, baseboards and corner molding is dk brn. THere is a brown pine plank floor in den attached to kitchen and brown woodwork in there.

I am in the process of removing the dingy wallpaper and painting the dingy ceilings in my entire home. So far the kitchen and hall is done. Of course now the trim looks dingy so I am going to do it when I am done with my parlor/formal dining area fiasco.

I cannot decide if I should paint in navaho white, to match the walls, or bright white to match the ceilings. The navaho white is warm and goes well with the tile. I am afraid the true white may clash, I put some white outlet cover plates in the kitchen and they do not look good against the navaho white wall so I am going to relocate them to other less visible areas later on. The walls are eggshell and I was going to use a BM satin on the trim.

What does the hive mind suggest? My feeling is that it might be better to have the woodwork blend in instead of stick out since it's not new and perfect. It would also make it easier as lines that are not so straight would not be noticeable.

Old 07-09-06, 03:56 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many feel that for the sake of continuity that trim throughout the house be the same color, whether natural or stained wood or a painted finish. If painting trim and not wanting a stark contrast, you can paint trim in same color as latex wall paint.

Old 07-09-06, 06:20 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats kind of what I was thinking. The stuff that's dark brown is all the baseboards, and the trim in the den which was added on to the house. There really isn't much other trim other than the doorways down the hall and a couple of other doors. The dark stuff matches the grout so it actually isn't a glaring contrast, even in the hall which has 7 doorways (4 rooms, a bathroom and 2 closets). The hallway had a beige vinyl paper that was textured or embossed (I don't know what the professional term is) and the trim is a little darker than the navaho white so it more or less matched. Too much bright white clashes with my tile but the navaho white seems to go quite well with it.

So I must take my tile into consideration when choosing colors and the tan seems to clash with color but I still have (or will have) a spash of color in my living room (a blue accent wall and carpet) and laundry room, which will be an olive green, it seems to go well with the tile. I may do the rear bedroom in the same shade of green.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: