Color help

Old 07-10-06, 08:55 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color help

Annette or anyone--
My decorator suggested a neutral in my hallway/foyer as there are too many colors competing. From the entry, you see the dining room (dark navy upper, wainscott is a caramel glaze, white trim), the living room (burgandy with white trim), the family room (dimensional knock-down in a brown glaze over white), and the hallway to the downstairs bath/bedroom (tan/brown, white trim).

The decorator suggested a dimensional wallpaper, but I despise wallpaper and can't afford to have the room fauxed (and am too scared to go up on a ladder that far). For now, I was thinking a tan/light brown. The trim will be white, and the stair bannisters will be glazed to match the wainscotting in the dining room.

My dilemna with the paint is what undertone to use. The antique persian rug is a faded pinkish/purple/blue with a yellow/tan base. I want to bring out the neutral (its a beautiful rug, but I am not hip on the pink so I want to bring out the more neutral color to whatever extent possible--I would never have put the rug in the entry, but the decorator was right, its the perfect size and is probably one of the most valuable antiques I own). The walls will have black framed old family photos, a large gilded mirror at the top of the stairs and two black accent pieces of furniture.

The tan/taupes I tried from SW are all too pinky--but I thought that the cooler taupes/tans would be better with all the cool colors surrounding them. Or should I go with a more gold/yellow based tan?

Does any of this make sense?

TIA

Old 07-10-06, 09:28 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding another color to the milieu may not accomplish what you want to achieve. Stand in your foyer. You see navy, burgundy, brown glaze over white? Which room dominates (do you see the most of) when you enter the foyer? Pick one of the colors that makes you get a feeling of flow from the foyer.

If desiring a more neutral, the tan/brown in the hallway could provide continuity and replicate the color without adding another color to the mix. The rug serves as an introduction to your color scheme. The burgundy pulls out the pinkish tones. The navy pulls out the blue. The neutrals pull out the neutral in the rug. You can also pull some of the burgundy and navy into an accessory or two in the foyer in picture mats, painted picture frames, vase, umbrella stand, etc.

Old 07-14-06, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
choosing a neutral with the correct undertone to go with a multi-colored antique rug is just too hard to discuss in a forum. have the decorator ***whom you are paying*** select several paint samples from which you can choose.

but from your description, it sounds like the family room is already somewhat of a neutral (brown glaze over white) as is the hallway to the bath (brown/white). assuming those 2 neutrals work fine together, paint the foyer a lighter or darker version (or even the same shade) of one of those colors, and that way your persian rug will be the colorful focal point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: