Also need color help

Old 07-10-06, 11:44 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also need color help

We just purchased a used mobile home to use as a lake house and I have absolutely no idea how to decorate it. There are darkish cherrywood cabinets in the kitchen, which is open to the livingroom, my wooden furniture is about the same color. There is darker cherry wainscoting around the perifery the kitchen and livingroom, light gray carpet and grey-toned linoleum in the kitchen. Walls are white. What gives me the problem is the wallpaper in the kitchen with wine/burgundy flowers and greenery. Normally I would like to decorate in the hunter green/burgundy shades but I have yards and yards of blue printed silk (some light and some dark) I would like to use in the livingroom and I don't think it will match or look right.
I'd hate to paint over the paper in the kitchen, but it is clearly visible from the livingroom. I wanted to make curtains with the silk, but it could be too much. I'm not looking for a formal look, but a mix of formal and homey. Am I destined to just make pillows out of my fabric or can I even put blue into the mix?
Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-11-06, 11:16 AM
N
Hi Angela,

Congratulations on your new home! I think alot will depend on the size of the print of your blue material. Since there is some grey already in the mix of colors, the blue should blend in nicely with those. Unless the print on the wallpaper and the print on your silk material is the same size pattern, they might be able to blend. Have you tried temporarily putting up some of the fabric in the livingroom to see if it clashes?

You could bring some blue in the same shades to the kitchen to see if it blends. Ideas would be blue glass vases and/or figurines in the window of the kitchen, blue dishtowels and other blue accessories on the counter. You won't need much, just enough to carry a spot of the blue to the kitchen. If the lighter shade of blue will blend with the kitchen wallpaper you might even consider putting some of the fabric at the kitchen window to see if it will clash.

Newt

Old 07-11-06, 07:28 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If darker blue can measure up to the intensity of the wine/burgundy, go for it in curtains and wherever fabric is called for in the kitchen. Add some blue accessories to match.

Silk, however, tends to be more formal and more fragile and not exactly what comes to mind when selecting fabrics for a lake setting. Depending on lifestyle and activities such as fishing, hunting, water skiing, etc., you may want to opt for a less formal and fragile fabric. In a lakeside retreat where more rugged activities and fabrics are not an issue, silk may provide just the touch of class you seek. It all depends on the mood or theme you desire.

Old 07-13-06, 10:23 AM
M
Just what I needed

Thanks for the tips. I'm getting out the fabric now and will do as you say. It didn't occur to me to add blue touches to carry the color through. Guess that's why I needed the help. Anything decorative I do that looks good is strictly by accident!
Thanks again.

Old 07-14-06, 12:21 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A very simple solution to developing a color scheme is to pick three colors. The idea is to create some continuity in your color selection. Example, one of three can dominant in one room and the other two can be discovered in accessories. Then, in the next room another one of the colors can dominant and the first dominant color can be discovered in accessories. Doing so provides continuity and creates a sense of balance in such a way that color scheme does not appear to be so accidental. Color selection then does seem to be such a daunting task.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: