Covering/hiding a door

Old 09-21-06, 01:59 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Covering/hiding a door

I need some ideas for covering a hot water heater closet door in my bedroom. I will be putting an entertainment center in front of the door, but the top of the door will still be visible if not covered. Since it only contains the hot water heater, I don't really need access to the door. I've thought about covering with fabric, but i don't want it to look like a shower curtain. Any and all ideas will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-21-06, 02:28 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Depending on amount of space visible above entertainment center, you may be able to camouflage the space with stacks of decorative boxes. The area could also accommodate some of those nifty straw stackable storage bins for storing seasonal clothing. Decorative pots of fake greenery might also screen the area. Leaning a large picture atop the entertainment center to cover the opening with something decorative in front may be another option. Your options will be determined primarily by the height and width of the opening to be concealed. If the area is large, you do have the option of hanging the same type of window treatment as you have on bedroom windows.

Old 09-22-06, 11:55 AM
B
Beware of Murphy and his laws ;-) As soon as you block the door with heavy furniture and tv, the water heater will need attention.

Old 09-22-06, 12:33 PM
W
Good point

I have already accounted for Murphy, as he visits me about twice a week anyway. I've learned to buy furniture that i can move by myself. The entertainment center I mentioned is really more of a tall chest that the TV will sit on.

Old 09-22-06, 01:02 PM
B
Murphy was an optimist - lol.

Entertainment pros recommend a soft light behind the tv to help the eyes and then keeping the rest of the room dim. Perhaps a hanging light would work for you.

Old 09-25-06, 09:06 AM
i'm not sure it needs hiding at all. sometimes, efforts such as this make the area look worse or just awkward. it's just a door, right? when did a door become an eyesore that needs hiding? as long as it's in good repair & painted/stained just like all the other doors in the room, i say let it be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: