Help with color scheme?

Old 10-11-06, 12:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with color scheme?

My wife and I bought a house a few months ago which we are in the process of remodeling. The prior homeowner had only done two upgrades since the house was built in 1985 (remodeled the swimming pool, and the kitchen). When she remodeled the kitchen, she had the cabinets refinished in a cherry color, and had black granite countertops put in on the counters and kitchen island.

Our problem is that almost all of the interior walls are PINK! Not uncommon in the area that we live in but we are determined to get rid of the pink. We are currently removing all the popcorn ceilings and retexturing them, and then will be moving on to painting the walls and ceilings. I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out which direction to go with the color scheme for the kitchen, which runs into our family room as well.

My wife and I love the Tuscan look, and would love to do Tuscan through the whole house as we already plan to do predominately stone flooring throughout, but I am concerned about how the black granite would look with Cherry cabinets and Tuscan colors. Am I being paranoid?

Also, we have two bathrooms which currently have white cabinets and a standard counter top. I would like to do granite counters in both, is it a faux pax to do a different color granite in those rooms than what is in the kitchen?

Old 10-12-06, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i'm sure you can work with your cherry cabinets if you use Tuscan colors. you'll just have to play with where you put what colors. golds & greens are great with cherry. you might need to keep the rusts & oranges away from them & in a different room, but burgundys and reds should be fine.

since your kitchen counters are black (neutral), i think it'd be fine for the bathroom counters to be different (and maybe a little more interesting). it's just important that the bathrooms coordinate with whatever rooms are adjacent to them.

Old 10-12-06, 04:09 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Cherry wood is used in Tuscany. Cherry stained wood will fit in fine in a Tuscan decor. The black natural stone counter should work nicely with a creamy tile. Tuscan color schemes usually include warm natural colors or antique white. The tile theme and colors are repeated on walls in backsplash area and behind stove.

There is no rule etched in stone that you have to repeat bathroom counter colors in bathroom counters. A lighter or more neutral color counter would allow you to make bathroom walls pop with Tuscan colors. The bright white vanities may need to be toned down with a warm neutral or antique white. The bright white may look too new for a Tuscan home which looks color-washed, worn, and often distressed.

Tuscan colors are those taken from the Tuscany landscapes. Olives, grapes, and wine are inspirations that work well with their love for creamy colors. Accent colors from pottery are often used--poppy red, cobalt blue and golden sunflower yellow. Terra cotta reds and oranges are popular in Tuscan homes. These can dominant or be a splash of accent in accessories in rooms where less is more by carrying the color through the home. In a cherry kitchen a splash of terra cotta in an accent ceramic piece may be all that is needed.

The feeling in a Tuscan home is one that brings the Tuscany landscape indoors and a feeling of warmth and love in an old environment that is made to look new again. From the colors of the sun and the earth and the rocks, Tuscan homes are rich in color. The color black makes a good accent in wrought iron, which would compliment the black kitchen counter and could be added as a touch in other rooms. The rich blues of sky and water. The green of olives and touches of green from the sea. The rusts and reds of favorite spices make for a savory decor. Narrow color scheme down and repeat colors in adjacent rooms, varying which dominates and which ones accent in accessories.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: