Too much white in my new kitchen!

Old 10-16-06, 06:44 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Too much white in my new kitchen!

I recently had the kitchen in my 1925 Craftsman bungalow renovated. I painted the walls Behr Morning Sunlight, a soft yellow. The cabinets are all painted white. The counters are a Corian buttercream--also a kind of soft yellow. The floors, however, are Brazilian Cherry (Jakoba) a darker, reddish cherry.

I chose wainscoting as a backsplash above the counter. There is a lot of it, because the cabinets start 22 inches above the counters.

While I was away, the contractor painted the wainscoting Behr UltraPure white. Now I feel the kitchen has too much white and there is no link between the floor and the soft yellow wall paint.

Behr suggests that their New Chestnut paint complements the Morning sunlight paint. It is a brown tinged with yellow, and also works well with the Corian buttercream counter. It doesn't do much with the floor, which has a bit of red in it.

My concern is that the kitchen faces north and I wanted light colors. I'm thinking that if I went with the Behr New Chestnut, there would be a lot of brown in the 22" high backsplash above the counters. I might also go with Behr's Glow, which is a yellow white instead, but that wouldn't connect with the floor. What are your thoughts? Thanks,

Scooter8

Old 10-17-06, 11:21 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like you definitely need a punch of color in your kitchen. What other colors are in your color scheme in your home? Is there a color that you could pull in that would work for you in the backsplash area?

Painting the backsplash area the soft yellow on the walls would eliminate the white in that area, but it would not pull the intensity of color provided by the floor above the counter. If you are working with dark green or other dark color in other rooms, perhaps you could pull that into the kitchen for contrast in the backsplash area and accessories. Pulling a color out of your palette would carry your color scheme into the kitchen.

Your Brazilian Cherry floor will continue to darken with age. The reds will become richer and more intense. I laid different tones of brown on a Brazilian Cherry floor sample. I agree that brown does not work. A rust did work well, but did not work well with the soft yellow color chips. All the green tones did work well with soft yellow and the reds in the flooring. I especially liked the jade chip.

Perhaps if you picked up some color chips you can find the perfect color for your backsplash if there is not a color in your palette that you can pull into the kitchen.

Old 10-17-06, 11:54 AM
is the backsplash beadboard paneling?

Old 10-17-06, 02:07 PM
S
Question Re: Too much white in my kitchen

Annette, Thanks for your thoughts on this. I have a related color Behr paint called Cancun Sand in the living room and dining room. That color is sort of a yellow ivory, with a touch of magenta in it. The living room has a rich red oriental rug and the dining room a sky blue oriental.

Back to the kitchen, I have two identical stripped scatter rugs on the Brazilian cherry floor. They have dark red and dark brown stripes, but also light olive stripes. I'm not totally crazy about adding green to the kitchen, but that could work with the yellow and tie in to the rugs.

Yes, the backsplash is currently white beadboard. The beadboard extends under all the cabinets and between the stove and overhead cabinets too, so there's a lot of it!

Again, many thanks.

Old 10-17-06, 02:17 PM
what about staying in the same yellow family, but going darker on the beadboard, like a deep gold. is that what the Cancun Sand is?

i wouldn't use olive either. it'll seem lemon/limey.

and P.S. it was twelvepole, not me, who'd given you actual thoughts before!

Old 10-17-06, 03:18 PM
S
Wink Re: Too much white in my kitchen

Annette,

The Behr Cancun Sand is a light color, sort of a ivory beige, with yellow and a bit of magenta in it. I've thought of painting the backsplash with it but the magenta wouldn't tie in with the Brazilan Cherry floor.

I had planned on a golden oak floor, but would up really liking the Brazilian cherry, but it is proving hard to match it with the white in the cabinets and beadboard backsplash and soft yellow in the wall paint.

Thanks for your thoughts on not adding an olive green. A friend suggested a terra cotta color for the badcksplash. If all else fails, I can repaint the whole room.

Many thanks again.

Old 10-17-06, 03:28 PM
i think the problem is that you're working with all solid colors & there's nothing tying them together. if your counters were marble or granite or something speckled, you could pull colors from that. or if your backsplash were tiled, you could use that to pull a wall color. but you've got all unrelated solids going on. is there any fabric in the kitchen itself? just the rugs? maybe a colorful plaid or print fabric on a window could pull the colors together?

maybe you could've stained the beadboard similar to the floor, but now it'd be a pain. what color appliances do you have? maybe painting the beadboard black would work? too dramatic? or a bright version of the blue from the other room's rug? for a real punch of color?

what color dishes do you have? or counter accessories/cannister sets? any inspiration there?

what were you planning on doing with the beadboard before the painter chose white?

Old 10-17-06, 08:47 PM
S
Red face Re: Too much white in my new kitchen

Annette,
I think you're going in the right direction. There's no fabric in the room now except the rugs. Several friends (they know I'm a helpless guy with color issues!) say I need some decorative fabric above the kitchen windows. I don't want anything heavy-looking that covers too much of the window, but perhaps that fabric window treatmentwould be an opportunity to combine the red of the Brazilian cherry floor with the soft yellow of the spot of wall over the window that isn't white (white cabinets go up to the ceiling on either side of the one big window in front of the sink).

I've picked out French blue items, especially pottery, to decorate my kitchen, but notice that bright reds also stand out well. Peaches also look great on my buttercream counter! My appliances are stainless with black trim.

Do you think the right fabric treatment above the one set of kitchen windows could possibly pull this together?

Scooter8

Old 10-17-06, 09:07 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The French Blue looks great with the yellow and the Brazilian Cherry. I think you have struck gold. Now, finding the right fabric for your window treatment to pull the colors together will be the trick. A nice plaid with the blue, yellow, and white would be perfect and give the kitchen a cottage look.

Old 10-18-06, 08:15 AM
red, yellow & blue (and all the variations therein) is the classic Triad color scheme. just be sure to not use them all equally. you've got mostly yellow (walls) or red (floor), so use the blue (accessories) as the accent.

and yes, something as simple as one little valance above the windows in a print of any sort that has those 3 colors in it, is enough to tie it all together.

i think you're on your way!

Old 10-18-06, 08:44 AM
S
Wink Re: Too much white in my kitchen

Annette and Twelvepole,

Thank you very much! This has been great!

Scooter8

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: