Choosing Tile

Old 10-16-06, 06:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Choosing Tile

Hi,

In my home, the street level story has wood floors (oak -caramel color) - living room, hallways, and 1 bedroom. Then going down in the basement, the stairs are the same wood flooring. In the basement we currently have 9" X 9" tiles (creamy white color). We would like to change the flooring down there to either a laminate wood flooring or ceramic tile (13" X 13"). We saw a ceramic tile that looks like wood (3" X 12" pieces). They look very close to the color of the wood stairs leading down there in the basement. Is it good design practice to stay with a matching flooring as upstairs or should we just find something that complements the wood stairs??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 10-17-06, 10:34 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are many wonderful tile colors. The look of natural stone is very popular. A ceramic tile with a touch of the darker tones in the wood on the staircase would provide you the transition in color that you seek. Ceramic tile would also provide you a durable floor covering that would complement the wood flooring.

Old 10-17-06, 10:48 AM
i wouldn't try to match the wood color in a ceramic tile. i agree with 12pole....find a tile in a mottled style that just has a little bit of the caramel color in it.

avoid the wood laminate altogether. since you've already got the REAL thing upstairs, fake wood in the basement will seem very fake & cheesy. especially with the wood stairs actually touching the stuff in the basement.

Old 10-17-06, 05:46 PM
S
Thanks for the replys! One more thing, down there we have a 1/2 bathroom and I wanted to know should we keep the same flooring in the 1/2 bathroom as well as the rest of the area??

Old 10-17-06, 06:07 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Personally I would find something that complements the wood stairs but I am no expert.

To be honest though I don't think you could go wrong wih either of your choices.

Cheers,
Liv

Old 10-18-06, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by sweetboy
Thanks for the replys! One more thing, down there we have a 1/2 bathroom and I wanted to know should we keep the same flooring in the 1/2 bathroom as well as the rest of the area??
since you're tiling, yes, use the same tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: