Need some help on carpeting colors

Old 11-07-06, 11:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need some help on carpeting colors

OK- I am making headway-
We were able to find a nice cream/yellow color to paint our walls in the living room- It's a nice compliment to the green couches.... Now we need to select carpeting.
Do I want to stay with a neutral tone like beige? We are going to be putting wall to wall carpeting in this room

Old 11-07-06, 11:09 AM
i would. there are LOTS of beiges out there though. just make sure you get one that's good with the yellow & green. (for example: stay away from taupey beiges which can look almost light purple or gray). and if the walls are really light, go a little darker with your carpet for some contrast. there are some nice flecked carpets that are more interesting than just a solid color, and you might be able to use the colored flecks to work in some accent colors.

Old 11-07-06, 11:14 AM
S
OK thanks- What is flecked?? (never heard that)
I may post some pics for you to see-
Thanks Annette!

Old 11-07-06, 11:21 AM
like how berber carpet is usually basically a creamy/beige carpet with little flecks of different colors like brown or gray, or dark green or burgundy, or even almost like confetti colors? well, there are cut plush type carpets with those same flecks now. and some of the frieze carpets have flecks. it's just some added interest, and also it helps with hiding fuzz & lint that would show up more on solid colored plush carpet.

if you don't know what i mean, you haven't been to a carpet store in a while.

Old 11-09-06, 07:29 AM
S
Here is some pics as best I can get them- The room is still in disarray but you can see the wall color and couch.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/galeo68/

Old 11-09-06, 08:11 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have beautiful hardwood floors! How about an area rug for a bold color statement and to tie everything together?

Old 11-09-06, 08:14 AM
S
Which colors were you thinking Twlevepole?

Old 11-09-06, 08:39 AM
S
I agree, why cover up that hardwood? Get it refinished and use an area rug. I was hired once to carpet over a nice hardwood like that and it just made me sick doing it, but she said it was too cold so she had it covered. Just in case you're set on this plan, let me explain berber. Most folks think berber is a loop pile carpet. It is actually a color. When berber coloring first came out it was only available in loop pile carpets. and it was that way so long that it became widely accepted that berber was a weave. Then, a few years ago, it came out in what is now known as cut berber which is not a loop pile, but has the berber coloring. Berber coloring is normally a fairly light cream colored background with earth tone flecks of color fairly liberally scattered all over it. They are blacks, tans, browns, and so on. Cut berber is very popular today because it makes great seams, is dirt friendly, and is comfortable to live on. There is a similar choice available known as jewel tones. This is also referring to coloring, but it is in a wider array of colors and takes in the greens, reds, blues, and so on. It is constructed the same as cut berber, has the same advantages, but one doesn't have to stay with earth tones if they don't want to.

Old 11-09-06, 09:37 AM
T
What other colors are in your color scheme? The secret to creating continuity in your color scheme is to carry your colors throughout your home. I spy an area rug in the diningroom that appears to be a burgundy or wine color and in a traditional style. Have you thought about moving that rug into your room? Throw pillows, art work, and accessories to complement the rug and pull all the colors together would work.

Old 11-09-06, 10:34 AM
S
you spy correctly- The reason we are leaning toward the carpeting vs. area rug is that the whole entire house has all hardwood in it so we have a lot of wood showing throughout.
This will be more of a family room and is cold now since the room is on a slab and my kids are always laying down on floor with pillows and blankets. I think having a nice pad and low pile carpet in there would do us fine until the kids get older. I can always tear it up and still have the hardwood years down the road.

Old 11-09-06, 11:07 AM
T
You can also have a large piece of carpet bound and still have the hardwood showing around the edges. Take a look at some of the wonderful colors and patterns in commercial carpets. You need something exciting to punch up the room and give it some drama and pull your color scheme together. And, with kids you will want something durable and cleans up easily.

Old 11-10-06, 12:05 PM
S
Thanks for all the advice- The wife really wants the wall to wall for this room- So since I have lighter colorered walls and the green couches- Would a light beige carpet do the trick, or would I want something darker?

Old 11-13-06, 08:05 PM
T
There are many beige tones, whitish, pinkish, yellowish, greenish, tannish, and darker. With kids I think I'd go with a slightly darker in tone. Because yellow is the dominant color, I'd avoid the yellowish tones. Remember that the couch is green, but I spy some other mottled tones which could be other greens but they are not clear in the photo. That subtle color may be helpful in guiding you.

It is recommended that you pick up a few 'beige family' carpet samples in the style and fiber you prefer and take them home. Toss them on the floor in front of the couch and view them throughout the day and evening under both natural and artificial light. Some colors look much different under artificial light. Learn more about shopping for carpet and cushion at the Carpet Rug Institute's website at www.carpet-rug.com

Pull your 'wine' color into the sitting room in some throw pillows, artwork, and accessories. Make sure you pull some of your green into the diningroom. The key is to keep your color scheme flowing through the home for the sake of continuity.

Old 11-14-06, 11:46 AM
S
Thanks all- I will try to give you a visual.
Room is 12' wide x 17' long. At one long end is picture window- Opposite end are the french doors to dining room (Which are not centered in wasll- I know) ALong the one long 17' side where TV is near now- there is just one solid wall. Opposite that wall is where that 4' archway is.
Leaves only a few places to put sofa (which is about 7' long)
If I put along large solid wall- it kills rest of layout and we were going to put a fireplace there.... Best bet I think is to float it out across the width of the room facing the frecn doors so that you would have a view of fireplace and TV..... Maybe like 3 feet from the picture window.
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/galeo68/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: