Kitchen / Wainscotting HELP!!!!

Old 02-05-07, 05:58 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen / Wainscotting HELP!!!!

Saved the hardest area 'til last.......

Have been wanting to redo kitchen / entry / hall since we moved in and now sick of it and want to get it done before spring hits. Looking for any and all suggestions for colors, etc.... Here are the facts:

Kitchen is L shaped and cabinets are a porcelain finished birch. All appliances are white. Cathedral ceiling above the two walls the cabinets are on. Third wall (where table is) is wood wainscotting with chair rail. Fourth wall is open to entry on right and living room on left, this also the same wainscotting.

Currently the wainscotting is painted a dirty brown, all walls are a light tan that matches the kitchen cabinets and trim is white. Want to add some color and make it look clean and fresh. Biggest problem I'm having - the fourth wall that kind of borders the kitchen to the living room - old owners put brand new navy blue plush carpet in - would love to rip it out but budget doesn't allow.

What color can I use that won't emphasize that navy carpet too much? My original thoughts were a light beige on the walls with a darker beige wainscotting and then putting a burgundy up above the cabinets. I'm just lost here and looking for any ideas. Thanks!

Old 02-06-07, 09:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what colors/patterns are on the upholstered furniture in the navy blue carpeted room?? and what style is this home? is the wainscot more like country beadboard, or more traditional/formal wider planks? is there a fireplace with any brick, stone or tile to deal with? what's the flooring in the kitchen? what color are your dishes, canisters, & other kitchen accessories?

i tend to like wood wainscot painted or stained the same as the rest of the woodwork/trim in the home (white in your case), instead of an accent color. to me, it's part of the woodwork.

the burgundy would certainly work with the navy & tans, and would be a better backdrop for the cabinets than a paint that exactly matches the cabinets. but does it go with your other things? for that matter, does the navy even work with your stuff??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: