Too many colors of wood! Help with painting ideas?

Old 03-16-07, 11:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Too many colors of wood! Help with painting ideas?

After five years with paint and wallpaper I've never liked, we're finally redecorating. The house is your basic 1970's split-foyer. The baseboards and trim moldings are mostly a dark oak except for two large door openings that have obviously been altered since the original construction to make the dining room and kitchen more open to the living room. (Think of archways, but square.) The trim on them is a different style and lighter color. That trim is the type with the square "rosettes" on the corners and the rest of the house is your basic unimpressive mitered corner trim. We can't afford to change it all. The kitchen cabnets are also a dark oak and we can't afford to replace them.

In addition to the two colors/styles of trim, we have a sort of medium ash color laminate flooring in the kitchen/dining room. Our furniture is mostly medium or dark cherry, much of it mission style.

I've chosen paint colors for the walls using an upholstery fabric I love as the basis for it. The walls in the living room area will be a color called "summer pecan" which is a medium slightly reddish brown. The walls in the kitchen and dining room will be "peapod" which is a darker sagey green, both look very nice with the cherry furniture and predominately burgundy upholstery we have in the living room. The lighting fixtures are mostly an antiqued iron with some rusty accents, also great with the brown and green and cherry.

Altogether, though, we've just got too many shades of brown.

We're thinking of painting the baseboards, moldings, windows and doors, leaning toward a creamy white, rather than a pure white. That would blend nicely with the light floors (the carpet is nearly the color of the laminate) and let the colors of the furniture be the dominant wood tones in the rooms. The kitchen cabnets have seen better days and we are debating painting them, either just darker than an oatmeal color, which would blend with the flooring, or two shades darker than the living room wall color (which is actually pretty close to the color they are now.) You can see the cabnets from everywhere in the house.

Any thoughts on the painting the trim and cabinets ideas? Also, should we just leave the ceilings white do you think? I'm pretty new to all this and would be happy to hear any suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-07, 12:46 PM
Painting the standard, uninteresting trim will make it disappear and not call attention to it. If you decide to paint trim, do so throughout the house for continuity. Your paint colors sound very good. Painting cabinets a creamy color, perhaps the same as trim, would make them pop out against your green walls and provide a nice contrast and updated look. Rather than regular ceiling white, go with a white that has a little yellow undertone but not as creamy as your cabinets or trim. Bring your sagey green into the livingroom and the reddish brown into the kitchen via accents and accessories.

Old 03-20-07, 07:28 AM
Thank you for your response. I hate the thought of all the work to paint the doors and windows and everything, but the moldings have really seen better days and I figure sandpaper, primer and paint is going to be WAY cheaper than replacing them. And it's not like I have to do the whole house in one day, I can do a little each night until it's done.

I also have a black iron stairway railing that really needs changed. Should it go the same color as the trim? It sits right in the open, so it can't be ignored. I'd thought about trying a metallic paint in the bronzy-iron color of my fixtures, but it seems to "bling" for lack of a better word!

Old 03-20-07, 05:42 PM
Treating iron railing as trim and painting the same color would call less attention to it.

Old 03-20-07, 07:44 PM
Thanks! I kind of thought so too!

Old 03-20-07, 07:51 PM
Why not post some pictures of your work in progress. Post pictures at www.photobucket.com and post links here. That way we can see what you're up to and can keep up with you during your redecorating. We love pix!

Old 03-21-07, 11:12 AM
Talking

I'll do that! I have a photobucket account. We're still in the planning stages for the painting. We're redoing the master bath right now and I'm so mad at myself for not doing "before" photos. It's all torn up now. But I may go ahead and do "during" and "after" photos. It started out as stripping the wall-paper and turned into a complete remodel, changing everything but the comode! Right now it's bare drywall and an unfinished shower. I'm definitely doing photos of the painting, etc, when it's done though.