Need some advice, ASAP

Old 03-26-07, 07:21 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need some advice, ASAP

Hello, I'm new to this site, and I'm a new homeowner looking for some quick advice on interior design.

I recently bought a five bedroom two story house that needs a lot of reconstructive work in plumbing, electrical, windows, as well as new paint, carpet, doors, etc.

As of now, the room I'm focusing on is the bedroom, which is 16x15. There's a mantle with a fireplace inlay surrounding a gas heater, with some blue and white marbled tile as the hearth.

My question, however, lies in carpet and paint. I'm on quite the budget right now, so I have to stick to commercial grade for the time being, but I still want the room to look good.

There's also a wood trim going across the walls about 1/3 of the way down from the ceiling, and three large windows allowing for excellent light into the room.

My choices in carpet colour for the moment are a medium to dark blue, white diamond pattern, grey, and a couple brownish-taupish colours that I wasn't too fond of.

I was thinking that I would have to go somewhere with the blue from the fireplace, and originally was going to have white carpet with a light blue at the top of the wall, and dark blue on the larger portion below it, but I've been told white carpet may not be the best of ideas.

I just need some ideas, fast, as to what to do with the flooring and walls.

Thanks in advance,

-Xander

Old 03-27-07, 06:38 AM
Personally I would stray from the dark blue carpet if you have pets. We have that color (low pile) in our entire house and it looks horrible when the kids shed. You can tell where our biggest shedders took their afternoon nap. Any fastidious housekeeper would need to vacuum daily, if not hourly, to keep it clean.

Old 03-27-07, 09:55 AM
L
I think you could get away with a white carpet in the bedroom. A living room or family room or hallway, I wouldn't consider it. But a bedroom isn't a place that usually gets a lot of heavy traffic and at least in my house is usually a barefoot place. It's probably the only room in the house that I would think it would be okay and I like the color scheme you have said, except maybe I'd pull some wall color from your bedding colors. For instance, if you have a blue and tan comforter I'd do tan on the top and blue on the bottom of your walls or go white on top to balance out the white carpeting.

Old 03-27-07, 02:58 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Buying your comforter is the first step. It will provide you a color palette with which to work. Choose one that has something in the design that has a similar hue to that of the blue fireplace. The blue will make for a great accent color. The wall and carpet colors selected can be inspired by other colors in the comforter. Khaki, soft green, gray, yellow, or whatever.

Old 03-27-07, 08:15 PM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree- stay away from dark color carpeting with pets...
we have a dark pink (its really sharp looking) but if I don't vaccuum everyday, it looks awful! i would never put it anywhere else now!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: