Bathroom with weird walls - need help with color scheme

Old 06-15-07, 03:29 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bathroom with weird walls - need help with color scheme

I am wanting to paint my bathroom, right now it is an eggshell white which I can not stand - I need color! The bad thing is that in the place I am staying there is the drywall on the top and on the bottom (divided about halfway up the wall) are these small squares all over. I thought about two tones, but now I just don't know nor do I really want to paint it all one tone - I think it would look out of place.

Any suggestions? Also, there is no room in there for shelves or anything. I am thinking of a neutral color with bright white, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-07, 06:37 AM
i'm confused. "the place you're staying"??? is this a rental? are you even allowed to paint?

and "small squares all over"??? what's that? TILE? you shouldn't paint tile.

and what are you asking? you want a specific color recommended? based on what? you haven't given us any information about other colors in the room or adjoining rooms. you say you want color but then you say you want a neutral with white - ?????????? that's not "color" to me!

please clarify your post.

Old 06-20-07, 06:06 AM
C
The smal tile type squares are about an 1 in. x 1 in. and they are all over the interior of the shower wall as well as around the bathroom. The wall's in the bathroom are drywall with these tiny squares affixed to the lower half of the drywall. The square's are not ceramic tile, instead they are plastic.

I do live in a rental and I am allowed to paint the walls. The people here do not care and anything type of improvement would be a benefit to them since they only paint over after people move out. However, if it is painted by a renter they do not mind and will not paint over it. My next door neighbor painted several rooms in their duplex and the manager said it was alright to do that since it would improve the duplex for future renters.

The tiles are painted with a gray primer and eggshell white. I know this because the paint is peeling off all over the bathroom. We have lived here for 4 1/2 years and I assume the humidity for the hot showers is making the paint peel.

Since the upper portion of the wall's are drywall I would like to paint it a light blue and the lower portion with the plastic tiles, bright white. I am wondering if this color scheme would make it look like a bad community shower room like in a gym or something.

I do not want any "loud" colors but I do want a light blue hue since it is the bathroom. I do not want any really dark colors because the room is only 2 ft. x 6 ft.

Last edited by ClarissaL; 06-20-07 at 06:09 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 06-20-07, 06:15 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Is this the master bathroom and visible from the bedroom? What colors are going on in the master bedroom? Other colors in your color scheme?

If paint is peeling all over due to humidity, issues, paint will peel off again and you will have mold and mildew issues. Address the humidity with a properly sized vent/fan unit. Run unit during showering/bathing and for at least 20 minutes after to exhaust humidity. Showering with door open can be helpful.

It will take lots of surface prep to prepare walls for painting, scraping, sanding, maybe some joint compound to smooth the walls, priming, etc. If an older structure, walls may have lead paint which can pose a health hazard if sanded and particles become airborne.

Old 06-20-07, 06:21 AM
C
It is the only bathroom and it is in the hallway. It is not visible unless you are in the hallway going to the bathroom. I honestly was not going to paint the hallway and it is an eggshell white.

The ajoining rooms are still the same eggshell white as well. No room here has been painted yet. The duplex we live in does have lead based paint since the duplex was built prior to the 1970's - it's an old army base housing. All the floors are medium-brown hardwood floors with the exception of tile in the kitchen and bathroom.

The floor in the bathroom is small 1 in. x 1 in. tile squares which are varied: some are white, some gray, some light gray with a hint of blue.

Old 06-20-07, 09:17 AM
white and "light blue" should work nicely with the white/gray/blue floor tiles. just be sure the blue paint is a very grayed blue so it coordinates. you might want to accent with black or navy towels to anchor the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: