Choosing Flooring Design

Old 07-11-07, 10:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Choosing Flooring Design

Hi,

I am getting ready to do the flooring in my media/family room and we decided to use ceramic tile (right now there is vinyl tile). My question is, we wanted to dress up the floor a little bit and wanted to put 4" granite or marble sets into the design. The color of the ceramic tile is a neutral tan/brown and we are trying to decide on the granite/marble sets. Should we use a black, black with copper spreckles in it, or a granite piece with a black and tan mix. Or even something else.....Need ideas help...

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-07, 09:29 AM
solid black seems like too much contrast. i'd go with a mottled one. i don't know how the copper fits in, so i'd vote for the black & tan mixed one. but only if there's black somewhere in the room, like the TV or the entertainment unit or something.

that said - isn't a hard surface floor a bad choice acoustically for a media room? i would think you'd want carpet or a large area rug for better sound quality.

Old 07-12-07, 01:22 PM
S
We have dogs in the home and have been moving away from carpet except for in the bedrooms. I guess we can still get a large area rug if that will help with the acoustics. We hadn't given the acoustics much thought. The room size is 18' X 12'. Do you think making the floor heated is a good idea or too much??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 07-13-07, 08:18 AM
if you have cold winters there & you like to lounge around barefoot or in socks & will be spending a lot of time in the room, then yes, heated floors in a tiled room would be a good idea.

Old 07-23-07, 06:50 PM
S
Is there a way that I could post a picture of the tile choices to show you what I am working with?

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 07-24-07, 08:45 AM
T
If you have pictures, post at www.photobucket.com or other photo site. If you have a manufacturer's link, post that so we can check out your choices and provide feedback.

Old 07-24-07, 07:01 PM
S
I have uploaded 2 photos:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u126/swb1/photo001.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u126/swb1/photo002.jpg

In both the photos you'll find 4 different samples of ceramic tile and 1 sample of the marble we are thinking of using. In photo2, the only difference was I changed the ceramic tile on the right because I couldn't fit all 4 with the marble in photo1. Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 07-29-07, 03:14 PM
S
Twelvepole/Annette u there??

sweetboy

Old 07-30-07, 06:41 AM
sorry - i'm at work & my employer blocks photobucket. i'll get DIYaddict to work her magic and send me the pics......

Old 07-30-07, 09:22 AM
i like the top beige marble. it seems like a nice neutral beige color & the mottling is nice. the one on the left seems awfully pink, and the one on the right seems too much like concrete gray. i don't care for the black at all. but without knowing what colors you're working with, my opinion is meaningless.

Old 07-30-07, 09:36 AM
S
Thanks for replying Annette! When you say "i like the top beige marble", did you mean that you like the top ceramic tile with the marble sample below?? I the picture the 3 ceramic tiles surround 1 piece of marble.

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 07-31-07, 12:00 PM
how much of this black tile will there be? what's the pattern? super polka dotty? or just one in each corner of the room? or......?

and what kind of room is this going to be? is this an upper end home with high end custom cabinetry? will there be anything else black in the room?

Old 07-31-07, 01:24 PM
S
The marble is not exactly black. It is dark brown, with black and light brown in it. I was going to put down 4" pieces. Probably about every 4-5'. So not very many pieces. I am tiling 1 media room (11' X 17') and an adjoining game room (14' X 22') in my basement. I also have two small 20 lb dogs that stay down there in the basement when we are not at home.

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 07-31-07, 01:36 PM
i would forget the little darker accent tiles every 4-5 feet. it just seems like it's haphazard or not well thought out. i mean, why do it? what are you accenting? what's the point? some will be covered up by a rug or piece of furniture, and then you'll just have these strange odd tiles here & there. i'd rather hear you say you want to a border all the way around the room, or maybe a border around where a pool table will be, or a faux "area rug" out of the accent tiles in a bathroom or something. but not just a little tile here & there for no good reason. do you understand what i'm saying?

Old 07-31-07, 02:44 PM
S
Definately. Thanks for your in sight and vision! Well then, intead of using the ceramic tile as baseboard, do you think it would be good to use that marble piece as the baseboard??

Old 07-31-07, 02:51 PM
no, i'd use regular wooden baseboard like whatever's in the rest of your house.

Old 07-31-07, 03:00 PM
S
So if we wanted to dress up the tile your suggesting to use the marble to border something like our pool table (if so should we just do around the 4 legs or the entire table?) or something else in the room i.e. entertainment center? Also, when you say "border around the room" did you mean on the floor a few inches away from the baseboard boarding the room??

Thanks,

sweetboy

Old 08-03-07, 03:03 PM
S
Annette You there??

Old 08-06-07, 06:53 AM
i'm here! sorry.....my computer's all messed up & i haven't been getting the email notifications telling me someone's replied!!

yes, i meant to lay a rectangle of the marble so that it appears like an area rug under your pool table - so you'd have it extend beyond the legs maybe a couple feet. for example, you could do a single row of the marble to outline the shape of the "area rug" and then fill in the inside part of the "rug" with the regular tile but maybe turned on a diagonal.

or for the room border idea, yes, just run a row of the marble out about a foot (or a regular tile's width) away from the walls. you could run the marble tiles end to end or leave a space in between for a more "dotted line" pattern.

maybe you could go to a tile or flooring showroom & get some ideas.

Old 08-06-07, 11:27 AM
S
Thanks Annette! You have been a great help! I will keep you up to date!

sweetboy

Old 02-16-08, 03:37 PM
S
Hi Annette, don't know if your still there, (anyone can chime in here) but I wanted to update you on my project. I finished the flooring in the media room and I think it turned out great. Thanks for your help! Now I am ready to tackle the adjoining game room that has the pool table in there. The pool table is currently not centered in the room and I was wondering how to approach dressing up the floor with the border around the pool table. Suppose one day we no longer want the pool table and get rid of it. Then what? We would be left with a border of nothing :-) We still would like to dress up the floor some way, but are unsure what to do. Any ideas??

sweetboy