Should I paint all walls to ceiling?

Old 12-03-07, 12:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Should I paint all walls to ceiling?

Hi, I'm painting all 4 walls in Misty Glen (Green and Yellow base paint), should I paint the ceiling on the same color as the wall? As you can see, there are a side ceiling, should I paint it as the wall color and leave the ceiling in white? Pls help!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/steventa...32098392120850

I'm try to post up the photo by using the ([IMG]), but its not working..

Last edited by stevent; 12-03-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 01:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I assume there is a pic that didn't post??

I prefer the old traditional way of painting ceilings white. It makes for better lighting. Although there is no reason you can't paint a ceiling a color. Some opt to paint ceilings a lighter shade of the wall color.

Old 12-03-07, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This question is really more for a "designer" to answer. I am careful with my suggestions. I must say I have never seen a shallow tray ceiling like that before. You could do the surrounding ceiling in white and some fantasy finish in the middle ceiling. Like glazing. There a million things you can do with the fantasy finishes. I had a deeper tray ceiling like that where I poured copper paint into Sherwin Williams glaze (1 to 4 glaze ratio) and rolled it on then with three people stuck a huge 9' X 12' thin plastic dropcloth over the ceiling and then took a dry roller and rolled over the entire plastic then ripped it off. This one example of a fantasy finish. She was thrilled.

Old 12-05-07, 11:56 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
To enhance the architectural feature of a tray or cove ceiling, a different color of wall paint is typically used. This can be plain white or a lighter or darker color of the wall color. The tray can be enhanced with molding, border, or a faux painting technique.

The tray gives the room an illusion of greather height, and lighter color on the tray adds to that illusion. The flat part that frames the tray could also be painted a shade or two lighter than the walls, and then the tray could be painted white or enhanced with a metallic faux painting technique. Moldings can bring greater architectural interest and provide a more upscale look.

Old 12-05-07, 04:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
I'm pretty boring when it comes to the house, all my walls and ceilings are the same shade of white. That said, I typically like ceilings painted with something between white and the color on the wall, a lighter version of the wall color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: