Coordinating Colors - Help Please

Old 01-20-08, 10:09 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Coordinating Colors - Help Please

I'm about to do some glazing on my kitchen cabinets - looking to age the cab's a bit.
My question is not on application but on coordinating the colors in the kitchen. I currently have cream colored painted cabinets, Black stone counter tops and black appliances, deep brick red walls, and natural cork flooring. I have been tossing arond color ideas fort the glaze and came down to a either a shade of brown (dark or med) or black. The black would be an effort to tie in the counter tops and the browns were on my list because they might be a better choice with the floor being natural cork and the cabinets being cream. I kind of like the black idea because it should tie in well with the counter and appliances but on the other hand, nothing in the room really matches the floor.
I'd love to hear opinions on glaze colors -
Oh, and one last thing - I only intend to apply glaze to the around the raised doors - just in the grooves and not the complete cabinet / door.
Thanks

Old 01-21-08, 08:26 AM
When I'm refinishing furniture and applying a glaze to "age" the doors, etc., I normally use Van Dyke Brown (same as the artists oil color). It's a dark, warm brown that blends well with most off whites, reds and browns, without being obtrusive.

Old 01-22-08, 06:08 PM
N
Thanks for the response - I think you are right in using a brown or neutral color with the cream. I tried one door using both black and brown and the brown does look much better. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: