Need ideas!

Old 02-01-08, 09:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need ideas!

We just bought a house and we're having hard time coming up with a color scheme for the feature walls in the living room. Currently one of the walls which is the back of the internal staircase, has an ugly stripy brown, mustard and black wallpaper and the other feature wall has a dirty mustard color and all the other walls white. I like having the two feature walls but i just don't like the colors. The mustard color is way too dark and dingy and the wallpaper on the staircase wall is just plain ugly! I've attached some pictures of the room so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. If anyone could give me some ideas on what color scheme would fit best in this room I'd really appreciate it.
[/IMG]

Old 02-05-08, 12:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I agree that the wallpaper needs to be removed and painted the same color of the other walls. I like the idea of a bolder color on the long feature wall that unifies the living and dining areas. Perhaps one of the red tones from your pictures or the throw on the back of the couch. Red is said to stimulate appetite. It would add drama to the room. Red can be carried on in accents and accessories to spread the color around the two areas. For the other walls in the area, I'd opt for a color other than plain white. If going with white, go with one with yellow undertones, or cream, or a sand color with yellow undertones.

Photo 1: Perhaps mirror could be moved where it reflects a nice view or a reflection of the room. It currently reflects what looks like a porch ceiling. Photo 3 has a lovely view.

Remotes could be placed in a decorative box on the coffee table and a colorful piece of pottery, bowl of fruit, flowers, or other colorful decorative item used to provide drama.

Photo 2: Couch needs drama added from new colorful pillows. These could easily be the red, yellow, black from the two colorful pictures.

Pictures are too high and too far apart. They are not part of any vignette. If using in the dining area, lower them where they will be viewed at eye level while seated. Space no farther apart than 4-6".

Photo 3: Lovely view. Window treatments are very nice. Picture to left of window is to large for the space and is overwhelmed. Relocate to a wall where it can standout.

The rule of thumb for the height at which to hang pictures is to hang at eye level from which the picture will primarily be viewed. In areas where people are primarily seated, the picture is hung at that level. Pictures viewed when standing are usually in foyers and hallways. These are hung at the eye level of an average person. Which means if you are over 6', then you need to hang pictures lower than your eye level.

Again, get some colorful pillows for the couch and add some colorful drama to the coffee table. By adding color, you can make your lovely home pop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: