Painting Walls with Battens.

Old 03-23-08, 04:56 AM
Painting Walls with Battens.

Im trying to kill the idea of making these battens as a feature, but because I hate them so much, its hard for me to picture it.

I need visual aid! Looking all over the internet for walls with battens as features. I dont think they exist lol.

Anyone have any good ideas or colour schemes to go with these bedroom walls?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rrent=wall.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-08, 08:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, Charles, I see you're still working on this problem. Maybe you'll have better luck in this forum

Old 03-23-08, 08:34 PM
If you are not wanting anything too bold or too dramatic - paint the walls your choice of color and then paint the battens 1 shade lighter. Or use the battens to hang new drywall.Or go for something really nice and put venetian plaster on the walls with a very light pattern. Paint with a neutral Italian theme, almost rustic. And, do the battens a nice taupe or creme.

Old 03-24-08, 05:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the paint suggestions are beautiful, especially the "rustic" look. Drywalling over the battens is a good idea if the electric outlets can be pulled forward or will accept an extension box.

Old 03-24-08, 05:35 AM
From your picture it apears that your battens are spaced away from each other ( I'm guessing at 48" increments)
Although I am not a batten fan, sometimes they are a necessary to cover up seams. Last week I had the occasion to visit a local resort hotel whose walls featured battens surrounding the entire lobby and adjoining common areas. The look was stunning. All they did was increase the frequency of battens and reduced the spacing to about 18" on center. Same color, same size. They used the spaces to
tasefully display smaller artwork, and larger art spanned over the battens. It may not be for everyone, but it sure looked nice there.

Old 04-03-08, 07:44 PM
Painting battens same color as walls will tend to call less attention to them. To paint them a different color would call attention to them.

Old 04-09-08, 01:58 PM
what if you added more battens to creat 4x4 squares, then pick a color you like, say green, and paint the battens a mid-tone of green and then paint alternating squares light green or darker green, so it's a sort of checkerboard look. but very subtle - only a shade or 2 difference from light to medium to dark, so it's monochromatic, but interesting.

i have a friend who did this very thing on one wall of her bedroom but just using paint (no battens) and it looked really nice.

if that's too scary, you could also do 3 shades of just a nice sandy or taupy color.