I Want to Hang TV over Fireplace- Thoughts??

Old 04-01-08, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I Want to Hang TV over Fireplace- Thoughts??

I just bought a gorgeous new 50" plasma and I am hoping to hang it above my fireplace.
I took my wood mantle apart this weekend, removed the board that goes across it below the shelf and above the fireplace, then put the shelf up above the fireplace without the board. The mantle shelf is about 12" lower now and it looks great still. I now can hang the TV a foot lower so the viewing angle won't involve strained necks!

Also I have a QUESTION: Anyone know what to use to run the wires through the wall next to a fireplace? I mean do I need a insulated tube to leave in the wall so the wires don't get hot? Do I just leave the bare wires in there? Anyone know?

Also does anyone have any general advice about doing this?? Do I need special anchors or need to take anything else into consideration?? I barely ever use the fireplace so that should not be an issue really. But if I do use it should I just make sure not to use the TV at the same time?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-01-08 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Removed link. Not necessary.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-08, 01:27 PM
Is this a wood burning fireplace?!

The TV internals get hot all by themselves and the whole unit is engineered to vent just enough that at room temperature it will not cook to death.

Old 04-01-08, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I think code says you cannot have a flammable material any closer than 12" to the opening, but I agree with Kobuchi, if it is a wood burning, I would not put my big expensive set over the top.

I know this is a current fashion to place the television over the fireplace, but I don't like it unless you have cabinet doors to enclose the television except when in use.

I think a fireplace is romantic and television is not. I never light a fire when the television is on, and I never watch television while the fireplace is lit.

You'll need to know how the chase is constructed to run the wires. (I assume you have no outlet above the fireplace, correct?)

Old 04-02-08, 11:30 AM
No it's not a wood burning fireplace- it is gas. It gets pretty hot directly in front of the fireplace but doesn't seem that hot above it... but how can I know for sure if it's safe??

I know what you mean about fireplace being romantic... but it gets cold in my basement and is nice to have the fireplace on! So if I'm watching TV or a movie I'll probably want it on.

Old 04-03-08, 12:35 AM
"It is gas ...doesn't seem that hot above it"

Could be worse I suppose. And the arrangement does sound cozy.

Now I think you were asking about running wires for a new outlet, cablevision, etc behind the drywall surrounding this fireplace? Better re-post in electrical forum if so.