DECORATING

Old 03-02-00, 07:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am looking for ideas for the kitchen backsplash area between the counter and the cabinets above. There is wallpaper, tile and mirrors but I am looking for something different.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-00, 11:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Depending on the decor of your kitchen, metal might be good--stainless, copper (shiny or with patina)or brass. Or for a country type kitchen, tin ceiling tiles if they're the proper size.

Old 03-05-00, 07:38 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmo49:
I am looking for ideas for the kitchen backsplash area between the counter and the cabinets above. There is wallpaper, tile and mirrors but I am looking for something different.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To tmo49 -
I have almost no money for decorating. I do have a color printer and am thinking of printing "tiles" and decoupaging my backsplash area. I could make them look hand-painted or anything. Black and white photo copies as is or colored, prints by your favorite artist, metal leafing (gold, silver, copper, mixed) and numerous faux painting techniques to look like metal leafing, leather, etc., would also work. My favorite painting technique book is "Fresh Paint" by Glenwood Sherry. There are numerous others available at local libraries and bookstores.

A good cleaning, light sanding, and a fresh coat of polyurethane would keep it looking fresh for years. Undercoating used for wallpaper would help to protect the wall if you thought you might want to remove the decoupage sometime in the future.

PAWSuccess

Old 03-05-00, 07:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

How about stenciling or stamping a backsplash. You could create simple square with a household sponge and stamp a checkered pattern along the bottom (Just saw that in one of my many magazines or create a tile stamped pattern. There are also many stencils available in tile patterns. Get back to me if you need help finding them...anyone.
Here is a site for links for stencils and stamping http://www.decoratingplus.com/stencil.htm http://www.decoratingplus.com/stampiin.htm
You will also find help with technique if you need it.

------------------
Debbie Brown
Decorating Plus...
http://www.decoratingplus.com

Old 03-13-00, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmo49:
I am looking for ideas for the kitchen backsplash area between the counter and the cabinets above. There is wallpaper, tile and mirrors but I am looking for something different.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I realize you mentioned you wanted something different from wallpaper but I wonder, have you considered 'anaglypta'-type
wallcovering? It can be painted in coordinating colors or to make it even more interesting it can be painted with metallic paint in any finish you want from actual metals to metallic 'colors'.A nice effect would be to antique it when painting is done.
Then be sure to finish with a protective coat of non-yellowing clear varnish.The cost should be quite minimal. Good luck!