Centering Wall Hangings

Old 03-26-00, 08:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a wall that is 53.5 inches across/wide - I want to hang a 36 inche wide framed mirror on that wall - the fram on the mirror has built in slots/hanging hardware that are 3 1/4 inches from the edge of the frame - how do I make sure when I hang the mirror that the edges will be equi-distant from the edges of the wall so that the mirror is centered ?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-00, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Murph,
Measure and mark the center of the wall (26-3/4"). You are not likely to hit a stud at that measurement, so know the total weight of mirror/frame. Assuming sheetrock wall, get proper size molly-bolt and picture hanging wire for that weight. Secure molly-bolt in wall at center mark, adjusted for height that you want mirror to hang. If the molly-bolt is centered, the mirror will be centered. Good Luck!

Old 04-25-00, 09:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Greetings. Something else that may help, make a template of the mirror (just draw around and cut out) on paper - I use brown parcel paper that comes in a large roll. Position your template on the wall with low tack masking tape. You can then stand back and look at the placement of the template and move it around until you are happy with the placement. You can then make your holes in the wall directly through the paper, and before the picture nail or screw (whatever you are using) is pushed really tightly into the wall tear the paper away around the nail/anchor. This method works really well if you want to make a grouping of several smaller pictures or mirrors or plates/platters etc., on the wall . . . beats making lots of holes while you try and get everything looking just so!:-)

------------------
Louise