Do I really need a headboard?

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-99, 04:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Does anyone have any suggestions on creating a fake head board for a boys room? Thanks for your input!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-99, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes, I read once that you can create a fake "headboard" by attaching a curtain rod to the wall where the bed will be, about as tall and wide as a headboard would be. Then (for boys) attach a cloth panel decorated with cars or plaids or bright colors to the rod as you would at a window. Now push the bed up against that wall and Voila! Instant headboard!

You can get cloth at Wal-Mart for about 2 dollars a yard. And 1 yard at 60" wide is enough for 2 beds. If you sew, run a seam at the top and thread over the rod. If you don't sew, you can buy hemming tape at Wal-Mart too. Set the iron on steam and make a hem at the top of each piece of cloth by folding. When done ironing (follow the directions) it should hold almost as well as sewing.

Hope this helps. You could also make their window curtains to match!

Old 12-10-99, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Michelle - How about a poster sized acrylic frame - fill it with foam core and cover with matching fabric. It would make a great lightweight bulletin board and give the impression of a headboard.
NOTE: Run ribbon diagonally in two directions and hot glue at the intersections. This way the boys can slide their valuables in the squares and you don't have push pins or thumbtacks over the bed!

------------------

Last edited by pmgca; 02-12-09 at 01:59 PM. Reason: No commercial links please
Old 01-08-00, 07:27 PM
Visiting Guest
You can use a bulletin board. Decorate the border with what may be a theme of his room. Then you can perhaps put a curtain rod above the board like I believe one of the others indicated. You can use material that goes with his theme and at the same time it could be his special place for pictures and posters. This way he can change the decor without upsetting the wall it's self. Be creative.. hope this helps rogers wife marianne

Old 07-04-00, 09:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

A few other cool ideas I've seen and heard of are lattice, or fence. Then, you can hang
caps from his favorite teams, or other hobby related items. This looks really cute with PVC pipe painted yellow and put againts the wll in the shape of a goal post (for football lovers) or something similar for soccer fans, etc.

You could do similar things in a girls room. Hang bonnets or beany baby sized stuffed animals for display. The point is...
Get creative with there favorite things!!
Then you can all have fun decorating together!! =)

Closed Thread