Room Layouts

Old 07-16-00, 10:17 AM
Visiting Guest
I am looking for a web site whch allows you to design a room and then layout the furniture, etc. and move it around until you find what you like.

Does such a site exist? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-00, 06:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Go to your local bookstore and look for a decorating book that contains images of the shapes of different furniture pieces which can be cut out. Each image will specify which furniture it represents and dimension. Cut out those which most closely match your own furniture which willl be used in the room you are doing.

Go to stationary section of Walmart, Office Depot, or? and get a pad of 1/4" graph paper. You will also need a mechanical pencil (they hold their point), an eraser, a straight edge ruler, and a steel tape measure (10' or 16' is a good size). Measure your room. Each 1/4" equals 1'. Transfer your room dimensions to the graph paper and be sure to note placement of windows, doors, etc. Or you can go to www.hgtv.com and download the project workbook and graph paper from there. Have fun moving those little pieces of furniture. It sure beats moving the real stuff!

Old 07-17-00, 08:25 AM
Visiting Guest
I believe furniture.com has such a tool on it. Very useful!

Old 07-18-00, 08:46 PM
Visiting Guest
My mother bought a program at Office Depot that helps you decorate your room. You pick out dimensions, place windows & doors, and design & place furniture, carpet, window treatments, etc. I can't remember exactly what it's called (real helpful, huh) but I think it's Vertural something. It was about $30.00 but very versitile and much easier that working with graph paper and cut-outs; believe me, I've done it! E-mail me if you are interested in the program and I'll get the name for you. [email protected]

Old 07-20-00, 06:05 AM
Visiting Guest
I use a program from Broderbund that is called 3D Home Interiors (and there is one available called 3-D Home Architect) that is really neat. You can design almost anything or make a plan that places everything down to the flowers in the vases within an inch before you move etc. I got mine at Wal-mart the they did carry both versions. It was 19.99. It's looks a little tricky to use but once you make sense of it - it's a breeze. Good luck!
Sam

Old 07-21-00, 04:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Ah - the twenty-first century! Thanks for all the input to the original question. Who says you can't teach an "older" dog new tricks? Gonna go check them out. Sounds like a great deal not to mention fun.