computer desk redo

Old 09-24-00, 09:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi,
I have an old fairly ugly computer desk that Im thinking of faux finishing in some way. It's one of those kits by Sauder that looks like wood but is actually particle board underneath. I'd like to lighten it up a little maybe giving it a leather like finish, but I don't know where to start_or if its do-able. Thank_you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-00, 08:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

What I've done with partical board (entertainment center) is mix some white paint with water to dilute it and make it kind of watery, then brush on but not to thick. The finish looks like white washed oak. Then maybe get some artificial leather and maybe hot glue it to the top of the desk or wherever you want it. The good thing is, if you don't like the way the paint looks you can always wipe it with a wet rag and take it off. If you do like it finish it with a clear coat.

Another idea is: I have some really old, ugly nightstand dressers, and I got some white paint and let it drip on the dresser moving it around then patting it with an old rag or paper towel like sponging it until it's all covered then let it drip again. It gives it like a marble look with texture.