country kitchen

Old 11-02-00, 10:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Any idea or suggestiosn how I can achieve the country look in my kitchen? I live in an apartment so I am not allowed to paint the walls! All I have right now are 3 old fashion Ball Jars in blue.

nic

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-00, 10:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Nic,
I'd like to help, but need a few questions answered. What color are your walls painted, what color are your cabinets, do you have any windows in your kitchen and do you plan to have the same look in your dining area (that is if your dining area is visible from your kitchen)? Oh, how large is your kitchen?

Old 11-06-00, 12:17 PM
Visiting Guest
The kitchen is very tiny...It's narrow and long....not sure of the excat mesurements! The walls are like a warm white (off-white) with golden color oak cabinets. And I do not have a window :-( . I do have a good size wall above the kitchen sink that is bare. The dining room is separated from the kitchen so I will not have the same look. I should add that I do not have a lot of counter space but I have plenty of space on top of the cabinets.
Hope this helps.
nic

Old 11-08-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nic:
The kitchen is very tiny...It's narrow and long....not sure of the excat mesurements! The walls are like a warm white (off-white) with golden color oak cabinets. And I do not have a window :-( . I do have a good size wall above the kitchen sink that is bare. The dining room is separated from the kitchen so I will not have the same look. I should add that I do not have a lot of counter space but I have plenty of space on top of the cabinets.
Hope this helps.
nic
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nic, I would start by choosing another color to coordiante with your blue jars; perhaps red or yellow. From there find other pieces to go with your jars and make small groupings on the tops of your cabinets. This can be anything old that you like. Don't forget to add some greenery (fake is fine). Purchase some dish towels in your chosen colors, to drape over the door handle on your stove, the handle of your refrigerator and/or perhaps find a unique way to hang one on the side of your cabinet or on the wall behind your sink. I took some old enamel pot covers,(in different sizes) attached a plate hanger on the back and hung them (horizontal) on the cabinet with an adhesive hook and ran a dish towel thru them. A couple of suction hooks will hold some matching pot holders on your oven door, too. The wall above your sink should be large enough to display a couple of (or a few) small pictures. Trays or antique signs would be nice too. You could also try a small wallpaper border above the countertop. If you can't paste the border because it's against your renter's contract just use double sided tape as close to the edge of the border as you can get it and make sure you rub the edges down with the back of spoon so they won't curl up. Even though you paste it down it should peel up easily if you ever move. I bet you have a small area on the side of your refrigerator that can be utilized with small prints or a half basket filled with condiments or hang some utentsils. If you have an open space above your refrigerator you could use nice big baskets (round or square) and use them as storage for some bottled condiments, like olive oil or hot sauces; somethings that you could arrange nicely: rolled cloth napkins, silverware,dishes, wine bottles and wine galsses, etc.. Lastly, if you are lucky enough to have knobs on your cabinets and drawers consider changing them to match your decor. If you sit back and take another look at your kitchen you could probably come up with some of your own unique ideas. I hope I've inspired you. Good luck. I hope to hear from you soon.

[This message has been edited by country charm (edited November 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by country charm (edited November 08, 2000).]