Making a collage with real leaves

Old 10-11-00, 08:43 AM
Visiting Guest
I need some feedback! I am planning on making a collage, using real leaves and framing it afterwards. What is the best way to preserve the leaves? I do not want to iron the leaves between wax paper. I was wondering if dipping leaves in melted wax would work? Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Nic

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-00, 10:09 AM
Visiting Guest
I've seen two techniques demonstrated but don't recall all the details. One was to bury the leaves in powdered Borax until the moisture was out of the leaves. Another was to place the leaves in a vase with glycerine and allow the stems to soak up the glycerine. You might check with a local craft supply store; they usually have info on various projects. Or a florist might be able to help you. I don't think I'd dip them in wax; if it's as hot as it would need to be it would change the appearance of the leaves; after it cools it would look cloudy.

Old 10-24-00, 08:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I had a rose from my sister's wedding that I wanted to preserve, so I hung it upside down by the stem, on my tree outside and got some clear spray paint and painted it! I went over it like 3 or 4 times, then let it dry. It looks like a fresh rose and I decorate it in my living room.

Old 10-31-00, 09:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

You might also want to bleach a couple of them white...really neat affect. Also pick up this month's issue of Woman's Day...it has an article of what you can do with dry leaves. Really neat.

Old 10-31-00, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Re my previous message: It's the Woman's Day Special Magazine called Weekend Decorating Projects..It has Mosaic vases on the front.

Old 11-09-00, 02:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I recently covered a mirror frame with leaves
to keep them in place, you need to mix:
1 part PVA glue to
3 parts water
This seems to have preserved the leaves to a fashion. My other tip is to use spring leaves, as they are more pliable
Good Luck
Lauren