chair rail molding

Old 11-03-00, 07:30 PM
Visiting Guest
What is the optiom height to install a chair rail in a kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-00, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Usually around 32" however - you can raise or lower it to suit your situation. If it is a functional chair rail - then go by the height of the chairback. If it is for looks, then whatever you like will be fine. Sometimes if you have a really high ceiling, it looks better to bring the chair rail up a couple of inches just for a more balanced look.

Old 11-20-00, 12:20 PM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
I would caution against moving it up or down to suit your guess.

The rule of thumb is 1/3 of the wall height or 32 inches above the floor. Your eye will measure the wall and if the bottom edge of the chair rail is different from 1/3 or 32 inches, it will register that something is wrong. You may not be able to put your finger on it, but you will feel that something is ***** about that room.

I had a room with 8' ceilings. Intially installed the chair railing at 36". Looked funny. Lowered it to 34". Looked better but still looked funny. My chairs were in that range. Years later I read in a book about architecture and design that 1/3-2/3 rule is used when installing chair railing or plate molding. The same holds true for border wallpaper used at either chair or plate rail heights.