Kitchen paint

Old 07-22-08, 01:39 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Kitchen paint

Hello!

I'm just moving into my first house and am seeking a bit of advice for my kitchen. The kitchen is beautiful with slate floors, stainless appliances, moderately dark cherry cabinets, and a black granite countertop.

I'm hoping to get some color advice for the room. Currently, the kitchen is painted a dark blue-gray color (ceilings included...) and is very dark. I would like to lighten it up a bit, especially with the dark cabinets, floor, and counter. I am a young male though, so I'd prefer colors that have a more single-male feel (IE: purple and pinks out please!)

Furthermore, since the painted ceiling has to go, what would the general consensus be about that...just paint it a white/off-white color or go with something else?

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 07-22-08, 03:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What no pink?? I guess lace is out too

There are many choices for the walls including a lighter shade of what you have. You might want to stop by a paint store and get several color chips to help you get an idea of what direction to go. Compared to most things in your house, paint is fairly cheap - if you pick a color you later dcide you don't like, it isn't that big of a deal to change it.

Personally I like white or off white ceilings.

Old 07-23-08, 01:18 PM
i'm sure your kitchen opens up to a family room area. the color you choose needs to coordinate with what's going on in the FR, such as the color of your sofa, chairs, throw pillows, art work, carpet/area rugs, etc. your kitchen is pretty neutral so your choices for wall colors is large. narrow it down by looking to the FR for coordinating color.

you can paint your ceilings in each room a very pale tint of the wall color or you can choose a white or off-white and use it in every room.

Old 08-22-08, 10:57 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ditto on going with lighter paint color. As indicated, colors used should coordinate and flow throughout the home. Study colors used in other areas.
What is the inspiration for the color scheme? An area rug? Piece of art? A tea cup or saucer? Your wardrobe? A safe way to go is to simply pick three colors and carry throughout the home, varying which one dominates in each room and which ones serve as accent and accessory colors. Look around you, you likely already have something in the home that provides a ready palette for a color scheme.
What colors are in adjoining areas? Pulling a color in from an adjoining area is an easy way to help with color flow. Accessories and accents can easily pull colors in in smaller amounts.
Decorators are no longer going with white ceilings. A shade or two lighter than wall color can give the illusion of greater height and space. The ceiling is the 5th wall in a room! In older homes with 12' or higher ceilings, painting the ceiling a darker color than walls can actually make the ceilings appear lower.

Old 08-26-08, 01:33 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think is very hard without a picture! Maybe if you coul d upload one I could take a better view and help you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: